Subject: Wiki "standard" for linking to pending queues rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I swizzled some of BGG wiki pages so that all the links pointing to the pending BGG queues (that I can find) point to the wikipage BGG Pending Queues for Users rather than being hardcoded.

So instead of:

... check the Pending Games Queue for the list of games which have not been approved.

it will be something like:

... check "Pending Games Queue" (on wikipage BGG Pending Queues for Users) ...

The point of this is if that the !@#$%^& links change again then there is just one place to change them and you don't have to chase the links throughout the wiki. Note since URL links in text are hard-coded, they are not tracked by the wiki feature "what links here".

Of course there is problem...

The microbadge process is the same across three areas of the geek (BGG, VGG, and RPG). So if I use a BGG domain as such:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/...
then the "area" gets flipped (to BGG) if you are in RPG or VGG.

This is complicated by the fact that there is no "back" button that you can stick into a wiki page.

I added a wikipage Generic Geekdo Pending Queues too for the Microbage queue, the People queue, and the Company queue. These three queues are the same for each "area". For some reason I am not seeing this wiki page when I flip to RPG or VGG. I assume that this is a cache problem. So I'm waiting to see if the page shows up. I am 99% sure that the coding on that page won't flip domain, but before I change the Microbadge page I want to be sure that it works.

The links to the two master pages are tracked by the wiki. So if worse comes to worse it will be easy enough for me to flip the Wiki pages back to hardcoded links like are on the Microbadge now (most are for hard coded for BGG by the way..).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
herace wrote:
So instead of:

... check the Pending Games Queue for the list of games which have not been approved.

You're putting your own convenience above that of visitors here, and I'd strongly recommend undoing this. The maintenance cost of fixing changed/broken links would have to be born once. The extra mental cost of "click, huh, new page that I have to scan and interpret, waste many seconds to find the correct link, click" would have to be an unknown but large number of times. And all that only for the hypothetical case of those links getting broken without a redirect put into place...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a_traveler wrote:
herace wrote:
So instead of:

You're putting your own convenience above that of visitors here, and I'd strongly recommend undoing this. The maintenance cost of fixing changed/broken links would have to be born once. The extra mental cost of "click, huh, new page that I have to scan and interpret, waste many seconds to find the correct link, click" would have to be an unknown but large number of times. And all that only for the hypothetical case of those links getting broken without a redirect put into place...

It is a good point and I did think about it.

Rebuttal...

(1) It isn't MY convenience. (a) I'm not responsible for the wiki. I think I'm a good egg fixing this. I have hours coding and testing this, and looking for the links. I only looked in BGG too. (b) what is the user convenience of stumbling onto a busted link? (c) The next guy to fix such broken links in the wiki can do it in a minute. I think that the links are much more likely to get fixed in that case.

(2) Hypothetical case ?? A user posted that a pending link was broken. The correct link was pointed out, and then he was kind enough to fix the link. He only fixed 1 of 2 such links on that page. soblue

(3) My notion was that everyone would Quickbar the 2-4 such wikipages (BGG, VGG, RPG & generic page). So the advantage I see is that by following one link that you're linked to a much richer set of pending views than the user probably realized existed. So I'm not trying to give the user a fish to eat, I'm trying to teach him how to fish.

I did a lot of wiki editing before I got back to my object oriented programming training. Do not cut and paste stuff all over the place because then when the pasted stuff is busted you have to go back to all of those places and fix it. As I tried to point out the wiki doesn't allow you to track all the !@#$%^ hardcoded links. So trying to find all such links is a real problem.

If one admin says no, then I'll swap the wikis back. I found a lot fewer such links that I thought. Otherwise anyone else want to weigh in on this? Obviously if a majority of folks object then I'll flip the wikis back to the hardcoded links.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll also point out that part of the user problem is because a wiki feature is busted. You used to be able to label points within a page and jump to directly to that point from another page.

So a link like:

https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/glossary#luck

would take you directly to the "luck" definition in the glossary. That doesn't work anymore. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm impatient. Let me try to skin the cat another way. I'll use the generic wiki link page name for the url link to the "generic wiki wiki page" which ought to work in all three domain.

Generic Geekdo Pending Queues

--------
Edit

Interesting RPG and VGG areas don't have access to the "BGG Wiki" even though there is only one Wiki for all three areas. Don't know if forum could be renamed, but "Geek Wiki" would work across all three.

RSP seems to be there across all three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
herace wrote:
So a link like: https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/glossary#luck
would take you directly to the "luck" definition in the glossary. That doesn't work anymore.

Works here. Must be your browser.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It didn't work last night and when I first report the bugs months ago Sep 8, 2011. It works now for me too.

see thread: [FIXED] Bug in wiki markup / Example in Glossary

SUPER COOL!!!

I'll have to look at coding to see figure out the markup to take you directly to the link on the master wiki page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is cool, I didn't know about all those other queues besides boardgames.

Is there a pending queue for "Accessories" submissions? (BGG item)
Can't seem to find it, but I also haven't seen a reference to it NOT having a queue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:

Can't seem to find it, but I also haven't seen a reference to it NOT having a queue.

I'll do some digging. I reported all that I knew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:

yup....

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/items/boardgameaccessory/pendi...?

I'll add it to the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I got the boardgame pending queue wiki page done. In order to jump from one wiki page to another you have to use toc entries as jump points. So I reformatted from a table into sections. Its longer but more detailed and it gives a nice jump point.

https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/BGG_Pending_Queues_for_U...

I did a wiki page for the generic queues:

https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Generic_Geekdo_Pending_Q...#

I fixed Wiki Formatting since the toc jump points work again. I'm now going to add to the Forum Formatting page to show how to use the toc links as jump points.

I sent off a note to skippen (cscottk) about how I mucked with the Microbadge page. In the "Designing and submitting microbadges" test it at item 7. You can see the changes here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/diff/Microbadge/1202825/12049...

asked him if I could twiddle with the Microbadge Design and Submission page since the process is his baby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.