Wesley Jones
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
The base game rules say that you can add the Dog and Friday (in any player count) to make the game easier.

The Voyage of the Beagle expansion includes 5 additional Crewmen cards (somewhat similar to the Dog and Friday). These are the Boy, Parrot, Lookout, Horse and Surgeon. The rules in the expansion say, "Crewmen can also be used to ease the difficulty of any scenario in the base game as well."

There's also a Hunting Dog Promo card out there: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1286264/new-promo-hunting-d...

My question is: What is officially, the upper limit to what you can add to your Character(s) in the way of Friday and/or the Dog and/or Crewmen and/or Hunting Dog? I believe it is only 2 extra pawns besides the Character pawns, but not sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
The pawns do not limit. As we worked on the German version of the expansion, I was told that a suggestion as to how many crewmembers to use was deliberately ommitted, so that players could adjust the game to their own playstyle without restrictions.

In the German version, however, we recommended to use 1 or 2 crew members in addition to the standard base game situation, to make it a little easier. Friday could replace one of the crew members, if he wasn't in play already.

If I recall correctly, we didn't suggest how to use the dog. I think that was because we thought he would not be chosen over another of the crew members.

We did not augment the suggestions in the basic rules regarding the use of Robinson and/or the dog to make the game easier. As such, the suggestion to use Crew Members stands beside the suggestions for difficulty adjustment in the base game.

So far the official rules.
I personally would say that players could choose whether to use the dog or the new hunting dog, and shuffle the ones chosen in with Friday and the Crewmembers. Then draw 1 or 2 in order to adjust difficulty.
If Friday and/or the dog are already part of the base game, I'd leave it open to the players
a) whether to use the basic dog or the hunting dog, if used
b) whether to shuffle the "leftover dogs" with the Crewmembers or not
and then do exactly as written above, i.e. use 1 or 2 in addition to Friday and/or Dog to augment the game difficulty.

So, in Solo play, if you want a really easy game, you would use:
- Friday
- The Dog OR The Hunting Dog (your choice)
- 2 Crewmembers drawn from the stack (with our without the leftover Dog)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert Water
Netherlands
flag msg tools
You only have two extra pawns (white and pink) so a maximum of two would make sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that is a restriction that WOULD make sense, were it not for scenario #3 of the expansion and the possibility to get natives on board.

See, you can play scenario #3 with 2 crew members who need pawns, and you'd get another pawn of a player colour not in the game when this happens. But if you play with 4 players, well...
...the game doesn't provide enough pawns.

I think that the number of pawns is no hard restriction, and you should be able to augment that.

Which is remarkably easy in a Solo game, as you can always use pawns of a player colour not in the game. Similarly, in the 2-player. And those are the only two were this would be an issue, anyways...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although, now I have used the stickers from Portal the only spare/unmarked token is the round marker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.