United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
Never mind. Damn. I used that feature all the time.

angry

I know I “can just GM,” but the old system was much more convenient.

For one thing, if I make an offer and the seller accepts my lower offer, then the seller has to edit his item to the lower price. More work for him.

And if I’m not on BGG when he relists for his lower price, then someone else can grab the listing at that price, and all I will have done is negotiated a deal for someone else.

If the seller simply accepts a lower price without editing down his listing, he’ll be charged a disproportionate commission.

This is a real downer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
The old system caused a lot of confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
For one thing, if I make an offer and the seller accepts my lower offer, then the seller has to edit his item to the lower price. More work for him.

And if I’m not on BGG when he relists for his lower price, then someone else can grab the listing at that price, and all I will have done is negotiated a deal for someone else.

If the seller simply accepts a lower price without editing down his listing, he’ll be charged a disproportionate commission.

Quote:
The old system caused a lot of confusion.

wow must have been a REALLY complicated old system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"Federer is Betterer"
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:

This is a real downer.

Not a downer for me ... now you don't get all those low ball offers all the time coming on your priced listings because now they actually have to ask you for a discount ... the old way was just a waste of time for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:
I know I “can just GM,” but the old system was much more convenient.

This is a real downer.

As per the above poster's quote (and I agree with his reasons), I also found the option of offers useful.

I'm sure most marketplace sellers would like to obtain the maximum price possible, but for me anyway, I do have some flexibility in regards to pricing and don't mind negotiating a price that is acceptable to both myself and the buyer.

Was never "flooded" with low ball offers, and many offers were often converted to sales.

Please consider bringing back the "make an offer" option to the Marketplace.

Poll
Would you like to see the "make an offer" function brought back to the Marketplace?
Yes
No
Don't care either way.
      42 answers
Poll created by monstrooper

MM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carol Carpenter
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could there be another option, in which the seller has the option to add the Make an Offer button to her listing, but otherwise the default is that the button is not there? Much like the box you can check for your Ebay listings in which you will accept best offers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Do not shed tears over throws of the past, roll again!
badge
Click here for free games.
mbmbmb
starspangledgirl wrote:
Could there be another option, in which the seller has the option to add the Make an Offer button to her listing, but otherwise the default is that the button is not there? Much like the box you can check for your Ebay listings in which you will accept best offers.

This sounds like a good idea. I found the offer function really useful as a buyer, and never found it confusing. I have a few items listed that I'd be happy to have this function on, too - more of a pain to respond to geekmails and change the listing than it is to simply accept or ignore/decline an offer. Then again I never really got or gave silly offers anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
I would be for this—if sellers were sufficiently aware that the feature existed, and if they would use it. Perhaps make it opt-out? So offers default to on, unless a seller turns them off for his listings?

As a seller, I’ve never got unreasonable offers—nothing remotely resembling the ridiculously unreasonable trade offers I get made all the time. And as a buyer, I used this feature all the time. I even made a geeklist about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.