-matt s.
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
/geeklist/240879
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, this variant is an 'accidental' one meaning I initially mis-read the rules and we played it this way for a long time (actually, we still typically play it this way since we tend to like it better)

The variant:
When you 'destroy' an opponent's Base, it goes into the ATTACKER'S discard pile instead of the original owner's discard pile.

Thematic reasoning:
My justification for this happening is that the Attacker is taking over control of the base after successfully attacking it.

Benefits:
If you get behind on bases (can't purchase them due to cost or availability) it is a good way to 'aquire' them.

In some ways, the scrap abilities of some bases seem slightly more valuable because you can get it out of the game, get a benefit from it AND prevent the opponent from taking control of it.

Drawbacks:
Losing your bases to a strong attack opponent (Blobs in particular) can be quite hurtful and might be a disadvantage to a money strong deck as your protection might keep disappearing. However, this forces you to be a bit more balanced, which is probably a good thing ultimately.

Observations:
Overall, we've been playing this way consistently and having a great time. I don't see any critical issues with balance in general beyond what you normally see in this game. In fact, when we DON'T play this way we end up wishing we WERE playing this way and quickly switch back on the next game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Schoonmaker-Gates
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm all in favor of people playing how they want if they are enjoying it more. That's the reason we play games, to have fun and enjoy them :-). However, I don't think I would ever buy a base if my opponent could steal it by simply destroying it! It seems like this would imbalance the game towards ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-matt s.
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
/geeklist/240879
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are many benefits to bases, especially outposts with the extra protection, so we have found NOT buying them can still be problematic and many times are the difference between winning and losing. I think it comes down to timing... I will get it into play and get the benefit before you, and it may even be in play for a couple of turns or more, as it could be at least a few turns before you destroy it, shuffle it in, and then into play for yourself.

Still, I get your point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Matt that this would shift the balance too much towards ships. I would probably never buy a base with this variant, except in the late game when I don't think my opponent would be able to take shuffle/draw the bases he takes from me.

However, I do think it is a cool idea and worthy of additional development. In order to try and re-establish balance between bases and ships with this variant, here are some ideas:

Try any or all of the following in conjunction with your rules:
1) Buffing bases: when you buy a base, you may put it on top of your deck
2) Bases counter-attack: At the end of his turn, your opponent must scrap any in play faction-aligned ships (i.e., does not apply to scouts/explorers) if you still have an outpost in play
3) Boarding parties: in order to "claim" an opponent's base after destroying it, you must sacrifice (scrap) a faction-aligned ship
4) Repairing captured bases: in order to "claim" an opponent's base after destroying it, you must pay half the base's cost (rounded up)
5) Base redeployment: the owner of a base may choose to discard any/all of his bases in play during his turn (in order to prevent his opponent from possibly taking it)

Just some ideas. Personally, I think #4+#5 sounds the best. Let me know what you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Allen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think #3 is the best of those, but I like them all.

Coms Check: You may pay -1T the cost of a Captured Base to immediately put it in-play and under your control.

While a little ridiculous, I like the idea of bases swapping command, and potentially repeatedly throughout a game. Fleet HQ might stand tall for a turn or two, but that gives the opposition a chance to take over in the late-game, instead of waiting for a Blob World or Brain World to show up, if they hasn't already been scrapped.

All in all, good-fun ideas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.