Subject: How much playing area required? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
From reading about the game it sounds like you could play in as big or as small an area as you wanted, but I'd like to know if there is a "suggested" size area for play...or in other words is this a game you can play on the dining room table or am I going to be down on the floor on hands and knees? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
It can be played on whatever size you want. I usually play on a dining room table or card table.

Some scenarios specify a playing size, but it is usually something within the confines of a dining room table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Maddening
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A dining room table is fine. Here at FFG we have occasionally played a 5-plane free-for-all dogfight on a round folding card table about five feet in diameter. The size of the table is very much a part of the game, but it can be played on just about any size table.

We still want to play a giant game on the warehouse floor one of these days...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
The smaller the table, the shorter the game usually too, because you have to stay within shooting range more often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Burning Drachens rulebook defines the length and width parameters for its scenarios; the earlier rulebook for Famous Aces and Watch Your Back! doesn't, but you can use the BD information to help get a sense of what the FA and WYB! ones "should" be. Card table for many of the scenarios sounds about right; a friend of mine and I played on a long conference table and spent a fair bit of time trying to close with each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everybody for the very precise answers!
BD is more exaustive. For a quick rule of thumb, anyway, a 70 x 70 cm table is good enough for a dogfight of up to 4 fighters, 90 x 90 being more comfortable (expecially for the SPAD XIII... ) and enough for six.
With the planes and special missons in other boxes, ground targets and everything, a 120 cm depht is usually suggested (a whidth of 90 is enough anyway).
When we play in more people, we usually take a whider but not deeper table. See here for a 25 planes table:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/98502

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the replies. Right now there a lot of games competiting for a spot under my Christmas tree. Wings of War is definitely still in the hunt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'd only add that there is people playing with 7, 6, even 4 years old boys and girls. And there are several lady pilots around. If you gahter together your relatives or friends for Chiristmas, you could even ending up playing with them...
Anybody drawing a Santa flying sled for that occasion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Maddening
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought about a Santa card, but his maneuver deck would be far too big!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fix
United States
Sterling Hts
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing you might want to do is to make sure you use some felt or some covering on the table. When playing on a smooth surface, the plane cards have a tendency to slide and lose their place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last Christmas, Santa arrived:
http://assoc.orange.fr/etronsvolants/goodies/goodies.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.