Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce X
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based upon an earlier post, I was told that the Secondary of Warfare does not "activate a system." If someone has played Diplomatic Immunity (which requires at least one ship to be present in the system), but then moves the ship out of that system, can another player move a DD or CA into the system using the Seconday of Warfare, since this technically is not "activating the system?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bender
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ermd wrote:
Based upon an earlier post, I was told that the Secondary of Warfare does not "activate a system." If someone has played Diplomatic Immunity (which requires at least one ship to be present in the system), but then moves the ship out of that system, can another player move a DD or CA into the system using the Seconday of Warfare, since this technically is not "activating the system?"

Actually the Secondary of Warfare 'does' Activate the system that your Destroyers or Cruisers are moved into.

From the Rulebook, page 38, in the detailed description below the image of the Warfare Strategy Card:

TI3 Rulebook wrote:
The Secondary Ability can be very useful under the right circumstances. [snip] Although the destination systems become activated, the Command Counters used for these activations come from your reinforcements and not from your Race Sheet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the subtle thing is that the system DOES become activate, but you aren't "activating" the system. While these sound like the same thing, they aren't quite the same.

The reason this subtle difference is important is that Patrol (the Warfare secondary):
- Does not trigger PDS fire
- Does not take CCs off of your card, but out of Reinforcements
- Does not count as an "action" for you.

I'll look at the text of Diplomatic Immunity tonight, and see what *I* would rule on this particular issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, after looking at the card and rules, I would probably rule that you CANNOT use Patrol to move into a system protected by Diplomatic Immunity.

Diplomatic Immunity only allows the person who played the card to active the system in question. For Patrol, while the Card itself doesn't specifically say you activate it, in the rules under the discussion on the card on page 38, it specifies that using this ability will cause the system to be activated. To me, the Diplomatic Immunity card precludes you from doing ANYTHING that will activate the system, be it an action, etc, and Patrol causes it to be activated, which would violate the terms of the Immunity.

Thus, I say "no"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.