Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
john withers
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't play other CCGs or other games in game shops, but I'm a regular at the local Dice Masters games. I like Constructed, Drafting, Hybrids, and Rainbow Drafting. In particular, I like drafts. It seems to limit Super Rares and level the playing field from Netdeckers.

Looking at the new D&D Dice Masters rule book, I noticed for the first time that it claims the Rainbow Draft is unique to Dice Masters. Is it? I don't play CCGs, but it seems somehow familiar from other games I've watched played in the local shop.

Is it unique?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Christensen
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think it's unique in that you can see the 'rainbow' of dice that are available for drafting. This gives some insight as to which characters/actions are available as well as the number of those characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pishposh wrote:
I think it's unique in that you can see the 'rainbow' of dice that are available for drafting. This gives some insight as to which characters/actions are available as well as the number of those characters.
I agree.

While other games have draft options, in Dice Masters, you get to know the pool you are drafting from before you take your first card. It does open up some new options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GARY SEVEN
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Hello,

Thought I would just piggyback off this thread instead of starting a new one. I had a couple questions about RD format.

What is the fewest amount of players that you could have in a draft pod? Could you do a RD with as few as 2 players with just 12 packs each or would that not really work well?

Also, has anyone mixed sets in an a draft (e.g. AVX/UXM)? How well does that work if at all?

Of the 3 sets released so far what set do people like to RD from best?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Christensen
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmb
I would not recommend mixing sets when doing a rainbow draft. After you've drafted your characters, you still have to make a team of up to 8 characters and 20 dice. By mixing sets you make it that much harder to get duplicate dice of a character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Wood
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
KUMARI wrote:
What is the fewest amount of players that you could have in a draft pod? Could you do a RD with as few as 2 players with just 12 packs each or would that not really work well?

Also, has anyone mixed sets in an a draft (e.g. AVX/UXM)? How well does that work if at all?

Of the 3 sets released so far what set do people like to RD from best?

With two players, the only thing you won't know about what your opponent took is the first card chosen from each pack. You also only open 24 packs between the two of you, which means you'll have a lot of characters with only one or two dice available for them. If you only have two people, I'd recommend some sort of sealed or hybrid format.

I've drafted with 3 people total a couple of times, and it is functional - its not great though. The options available are limited and you just don't open enough to try and go for multiple dice attached to multiple characters. It just doesn't feel like a good mix.

4 people is when you start getting a decent distribution, and it improves up to 6 people. You have plenty of dice available, but also you have to make hard choices, because there's a good chance that other card you pass won't be there when the pack comes back to you.

The drafts at the WK Open in Chicago were ran as 8-player pods. I wasn't thinking about how 8 players would impact things (this was when AVX product was scarce and before UXM officially released, so drafts weren't happening in my area), but I felt like it was really hard to gage the draft pool and make decisions based on what you saw. You would only get two cards out of your pack, and there would be a couple of packs where you'd only be able to take one for that entire pass. I wouldn't discourage anyone from doing a 8-player pod though - its definitely better then two 4-player pods. It just didn't hit that sweet spot that 5-6 players does.

Mixing sets wouldn't work at all. You would decrease the number of dice available to each character greatly, and having only one die per character makes it difficult to field an effective team. I wouldn't recommend it.

I've only managed to rainbow draft AVX once - it seemed like a balanced format, but I'd prefer being able to draft it more to actually make that claim.

For UXM, it feels...alright? Maybe its because I'm slowly starting to dislike the Professor X global and how it impacts the game, and drafting one versus not drafting one changes your strategy immensely. If you grab a Prof X early, you can go for a higher-costing team because you'll be able to afford it. If you don't, you're stuck with cheaper characters because you can't rely on every opponent to have one. The drafting environment also doesn't have much in the way of pushing damage through, so it becomes really tough to defeat your opponent.

For YGO, the draft format is awesome. I'm having a real blast playing it and it feels balanced with itself. There are some real strong cards, but everything has a counter to it and nothing single-handedly wins games. I've really enjoyed it and look forward to drafting it some more in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan R
United States
ALBUQUERQUE
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love rainbow drafts. We've done them with as few as 2 players. When we do it with two players we each pick a card then also choose one card to go face down in the center pool. After we've drafted both packs of 6 (there should then be half the cards in the center. These are shuffled dealt out and you are stuck with the cards dealt. It's just mainly me and my wife when we do this method but it's a lot of fun. We usually have 1-2 characters we get 4 of and a few 3's. With 3-4 people it works fine the normal way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.