Popular Tags: [View All]
Isley
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I watched some of Victory at Sea and was pretty disappointed at how biased it was and how loose it played with the facts (at least as I read them in John Keegan's "Second World War") I was just wondering what the WW2 buffs think of this documentary?

http://www.amazon.com/World-War-30th-Anniversary/dp/B0002F6A...

It sounds pretty great. Does it also give an accurate (at least mostly) portrayal of history? Would you guys recommend it?

thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
You're going to be hard pressed to find a well funded, well made documentary about WWII that isn't biased at least a little bit toward the Allies. They almost always gloss over stuff like Japanese internment camps, the firebombing of Dresden, et cetera.

I've seen so many, I can't recall if I've actually seen the one you're talking about, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isley
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess one thing that got me about Victory at Sea was the way they portrayed the battle of Midway. It was not at all like what I read in the Keegan book. I'm just assuming that Victory at Sea is the account that fudged more details. My point being that I got the impression that Victory at Sea wasn't just avoiding the tough subjects, it was actually misrepresenting what really happened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Don't forget that The World at War is now over 30 years old. The way that historians understand events changes over time, particularly if new evidence comes to light. Approaches to the material changes as well. I'm not an expert in WW2 but from what I understand it is very comprehensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
World at War is very good and from what I've seen of it, pretty impartial. However, like Rachel said, it's quite old now (although one benefit of this is the fact that far more of the people who took part in the war were alive when it was made so you get far more first hand accounts of what happened).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Bohrer
United States
Hereford
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mmmm...might guess that something entitled "Victory at Sea" might...just might...be written and produced from the point of view of those whose victory it was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.