Benoit Larose
Canada
Montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Concluded a 5 nights playing of this one with 2 friends (Michel + Dominique - French, myself - Austrian).

The experience was mixed. Although I did enjoy the concept of Force definition & March, the game design is too heavy on factor counting for my tastes.

The gaming situation is not interesting with a big showdown at the beginning in Bavaria (historical situation) where the Austrian player is definitely at a disadvantage then a mostly fluid retreat towards Vienna, in theory followed by another big battle or two (Aspern Essling, Wagram).

We did not see how it was possible to simulate the historical course of the campaign.

The Austrian player has lousy leaders and a shortage of AP. The game evenually boils down to a series of critical 1:1 battles where the would be victor hopes to roll 1 vs. 6 for the enemy. Other combinations just lead to a long battle of attrition with the French player having the upper hand.

The Autrian stopped running in early May when a weakness in the French advance was spotted. I took the chance to mount a large counter-attack northwest of Passau against Napoleon who was with about 10 SP with no CO active. I managed to get there in force but he was able to react with Lannes and we ended up with a 1:1 battle yielding equal blood on both sides. When my retreat resumed, my CO needed to be repositionned and the French attacked the Austrian who could not react. Another big 1:1 battle ensued with boths sides rolling extreme results in the French favor, decimating the Austrian army. At this point we could not see how the Austrian could turn the tide and we decided to stop there. The final showdown happened quicker in the game but sooner or later it would have come so it was preferable not to waste too much time maneuvering about the map to end up with the same result.

The game does not warrant spending so many nights for so little reward. If I ever play it again, it would be to play the endgame Wagram scenario only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.