Subject: Wishlist - Don't Buy This rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious to know if anyone uses the "Don't Buy This" option on your wishlist. Also wondering if, after using it, someone bought it for you anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Goddard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use it to list new games which I need to check out so I don't forget about them. For example, recent Essen ones I have listed under Don't buy this but with the note regarding "Essen 2006" as the comment. I know when I export my list not to purchase any until I have done research. It either gets bumped to a number 4 or gets removed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.S. Ahlstrom
United States
South Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use it to mark things that I want to buy for myself. My family and friends frequently look at my wishlist to see what to get me for gifts, etc. but there are somethings I don't want them buying because I want a special pre-order deal, or I want to buy from a local gameshop, or it's a game you have to get on eBay or what not so the family doesn't get confused trying to find it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I use it to mark games that I have ordered (or traded for) and that haven't arrived yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burke Glover
United States
Unspecified
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I don't really use the wishlist feature as a wishlist. It's really more of a "watch list" for me, and I'd never tell anyone to look at it for gift ideas. "Don't buy this" is pretty much my default setting, unless I want to trade for it, in which case my wishlist rating is my trade desireability rating. Also, odd little collector's items (Mega Man Settlers!) get the "don't buy this" tag, because at this point in my life I can't afford odd little collector's items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, the Don't Buy is for games I have on order or pre-order.

A 1 rating are the next games I will buy. A 2 rating are the games I'm would love to buy but are usually OOP titles or just couldn't fit into the budget for the 1 slot. A 3 rating are games I want to research further, and the 4 rating is for the games that catch my eye (picture, someones comment on it, etc) that I'm not even sure I want to research further.

I used my wishlist last year for xmas, but then it almost backfired when my birthday came around. I don't really celebrate my bday but my friend was really nice and checked out my wish list and got me a few games from the '1' section (back when my list was completely unorganized). As luck would have it he got me Battle Line which I love and the card version of E&T which was pretty fun once we figured it out (at 1AM).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K-Fresh
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
FULL METAL JACKAL
mbmbmbmbmb
I like games and I like pirates, so I know someone in my family will want to buy me Dread Pirate at some point.

arrrh

Since it's pretty pricey and doesn't look to me like a game I'd want to actually play, I added it as a "don't buy" entry in my wishlist.

(Nevertheless, I still had to make a manual intervention last weekend.)

--K

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.