Subject: Caverna .. Agricola killer? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jon brose
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
We talked about caverna in one of the recent episodes of The Chalk podcast and would like to know how you view this game that has aggressively climbed the charts of boardgamegeek.com.

Many say that caverna has killed Agricola and they will never look back. Others are tried and true Agricola fans. If you have had the chance to play both games please let us know where you stand. Has caverna bumped Agricola for you or does it still have a place on your shelf?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erick Sklar
United States
Toms River
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, I like Agricola much better than Caverna BECAUSE of the tension it provides. Caverna is a very wide open game, and after several plays, to me if your opponent went to a space, you could really just take a different action that does almost the same thing, or one that does not hurt you too much. I like the strategic denying of someone's actions in Agricola just at the right time. Much like Ora Et Labora (which I like more than Caverna) the room tiles are the same every game. I wish there would be some sort of randomizing mechanism for the tiles to keep games new and fresh. In Agricola, you have a hand of different cards, that really help you plan a strategy or make you do the best with what you have.

The "expedition" spaces, theme wise, could have been so much cooler. Except you just come back with more of the same items. I think this was a big missed opportunity here.

I guess to sum up, no Caverna for me is nowhere near an Agricola killer. It's not even close. But I can see why a lot of people would want to play Caverna, and I can see why a lot of people love the game. Great components, plays lots of players, much less tension..etc. I am just not one of those players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jon brose
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Gralem wrote:
For me, I like Agricola much better than Caverna BECAUSE of the tension it provides. Caverna is a very wide open game, and after several plays, to me if your opponent went to a space, you could really just take a different action that does almost the same thing, or one that does not hurt you too much. I like the strategic denying of someone's actions in Agricola just at the right time. Much like Ora Et Labora (which I like more than Caverna) the room tiles are the same every game. I wish there would be some sort of randomizing mechanism for the tiles to keep games new and fresh. In Agricola, you have a hand of different cards, that really help you plan a strategy or make you do the best with what you have.

The "expedition" spaces, theme wise, could have been so much cooler. Except you just come back with more of the same items. I think this was a big missed opportunity here.

I guess to sum up, no Caverna for me is nowhere near an Agricola killer. It's not even close. But I can see why a lot of people would want to play Caverna, and I can see why a lot of people love the game. Great components, plays lots of players, much less tension..etc. I am just not one of those players.

I think you bring up a great point Gralem. In caverna there are many paths to victory as in Agricola but unlike Agricola when your chosen path is blocked there are still plenty of good paths to take. In episode 6 of the podcast we talk a little about strategy vs tactics. Most games have a measure of both. I would consider these 2 games as reliant on strategy but Agricola definitely requires a bit more tactics. Like you mentioned, taking your opponents desired actions away from them in Agricola has a much bigger impact in their game.

Caverna is one of my favorite games for a number of reasons and Agricola is a great game that I enjoy playing but sadly I haven't had much opportunity lately. I defanetley understand why you like Agricola better and at the moment it is still higher in BGG's ranking than Caverna. I can also see how someone would have room for both of these games on their shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.