Popular Tags: c&c_system [+] shillbusting [+] [View All]
Jeremy Carlson
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I can understand people who have rated the game after only a demo. Probably already know that they are going to love it. I love it and I haven't even demo'd the damn thing.

But some jackass (greylock) has already given it a 1. Looks like he's been a member since 2004. But this is the only game he has rated, he hasn't done anything else with his profile.

God this aggrivates me. THE GAME ISN'T EVEN OUT YET!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the internet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Welcome to the internet.

Exactly. Good times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Takacs
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It irritates me that people rate games without even having read the rules or having played them. That rating of 1 is especially ridiculous. Considering the quality that DoW puts into their games and the well-tested commands and colors design, such a rating is truly bogus.

There are several games that I truly dislike, but I would not rate them a 1. Just because I dislike them is not grounds alone for such a low rating. This looks like someone is just out to sabotage the ratings for the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rating system here has code in place to detect shilling; hopefully it would catch such an obvious case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmb
The 1 rating is obviously in response to the 10 and/or the 9 from people who haven't played the game.

The 10 rating says:
Quote:
I'm definitely getting this. UPDATE: Pre-ordered! I know from what I've already read and seen that this will be a 10 for me for quite some time to come. Will update when I've had a chance to play but as I'm already familiar with the C&C system I know it will be good.

...and the 1 rating says:
Quote:
Didn't preorder yet. I haven't played it yet, but I know it will be a 1. I've played other C&C systems.

I find them both egregious which has spurred me to act with great decisiveness to do absolutely nothing about it...

Hey, it's almost dinner time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely agree with the above post. Ratings from a few superfans or disgruntled enemies mean nothing. Of course, ratings mean very little anyway, but it's just a clear case of people rating something before they even try it.

Either way, they'll always be people who do this. The internet just makes it more obvious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Werth
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Funny, I really thought about rating this back when nobody else had. I think I would have given it an 8. I was actually surprised at the restraint from the community for so long in not putting any numbers up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go read the lowest ratings on Memoir '44. They're all from bitter grognads!

I know right now that Battle Lore is going to be about a 7.7 on my scale, because it takes the best parts of CC:Ancients and adds nifty chunks of plastic, thus appealing to my inner wargamer and ameritrash upbringing. I prefer large battleground fantasy trolls to Hill Giants, however.

Are the shipping dates on this pretty firm?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Har Har Har...

Yes. I once thought that people tried their best to be honest on the internet...

...then I once was helping to beta test a game and, right before release, I noticed several new posters who came in to the forum and waxed poetic about how amazing the game was.

It was clear they didn't know what they were talking about though, because what they were saying was really good, often did not even exist in the game or they otherwise clearly didn't understand it.

I suspected that they were paid shills! I accused them of it and, amazingly, rather than denying it, a few of them claimed that I must be a paid shill for the competition (which was ridiculous since I had been posting all sorts of things about the game, mostly helpful critique and some praise for many months).

This really proved to me that they were indeed shills.

This really rocked my perception of both the 'net and humankind in general...

...in hindsite, I guess a bunch of anonymous people hiding behind pseudonyms is a pretty obvious forum for such deception... sad though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
This calls for a Penny Arcade comic:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/02/10

As with all things despicable on the internet, there was already an appropriate comic waiting to be linked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Walton
United States
Springfield
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Actually" is one of those words I'll use online but never in person.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willson
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
craniac wrote:
... because it takes the best parts of CC:Ancients and adds nifty chunks of plastic, thus appealing to my inner wargamer and ameritrash upbringing.

Couldn't agree more

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
Bobby4th wrote:
The 1 rating is obviously in response to the 10 and/or the 9 from people who haven't played the game.

The 10 rating says:
Quote:
I'm definitely getting this. UPDATE: Pre-ordered! I know from what I've already read and seen that this will be a 10 for me for quite some time to come. Will update when I've had a chance to play but as I'm already familiar with the C&C system I know it will be good.

...and the 1 rating says:
Quote:
Didn't preorder yet. I haven't played it yet, but I know it will be a 1. I've played other C&C systems.

I find them both egregious which has spurred me to act with great decisiveness to do absolutely nothing about it...

Hey, it's almost dinner time!

What's for dinner? Can I bring some friends by?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Baumbach
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Intrawebs, everyone has a chip on their shoulder and someone waiting to knock it off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cardarelli
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobby4th wrote:
which has spurred me to act with great decisiveness to do absolutely nothing about it...

This is the sweetest thing I've read all day. I'm gonna have to steal this line from you, Bobby, cause I just have to say this to somebody. Not sure when, or in what context. But soon.

Yes. Soon, soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark camp
United States
Lesser Binghamton Area
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A 10 rating always bothers me more than a 1 in cases like this. I don't really let ratings affect my purchasing. Reviews are far more influential on my decisions. I'm also one of those people who doesn't give 10s because I follow the BGG definitions and a 10 would be a game I would never want to not play, which I'm pretty sure doesn't exist. On the other hand, I don't hand out 1s either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Carlson
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes the 10 IS bothersome, but at least he is fairly active on BGG. The guy who gave it a 1 though, that is the only rating he's given, and the only thing he has done on BGG. The only guy who has rated it so far who has any credibility right now, is the guy who played it once.

Otherwise, yes I agree with everyone really. There really should only be the one rating, since he has played it once. I can live with the other guys who rated it high, because they at least are active here. The guy with the 1 with nothing in his profile...that is just lame.

I would prefer to see none until the game is freakin' out though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stupid 10s make me angrier than stupid 1s, regardless of how active the poster is. Plus, in this case, the guy who rated the 1 looks like he was just reacting to the not-played-yet shillmeister who ranked it a 10. Folks who haven't at least demo'd the game shouldn't even be ranking it. Who are you going to influence anyway? Nearly every gamer knows this system and knows whether or not they would like it in a fantasy context. Most of us know from those factors whether we will love or hate this game, and I think battlelore will be a love or hate sort of game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Konyha
United States
Terrytown
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The funny part to me is how 7 people say they OWN a game that has not been released yet. Pre-order is not ownership. (To me, at least...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
craniac wrote:
....it takes the best parts of CC:Ancients and adds nifty chunks of plastic,....

Are the shipping dates on this pretty firm?

Having just played a game at an in-store demo, I agree. This takes good parts of C&C:A and adds in the production values of Mem'44. I found the ranged weapons cleaner and better in BattleLore. As well as the battle back and other options.

Granted it was only 1 game, but felt I had more options each turn and didn't encounter the "troops left / cards right" syndrome I have suffered through in Mem'44

Nice thing I learned from Mark Kaufman - one doesn't need to add the fantasy elements (dwarves, goblins, creatures, lore (aka magic)) unless one wants to. Gave this a 7 from the initial playing.

As for firm ship dates - I would assume so. Mark brought 4 shrinkwrapped copies - so I will assume the production copies aren't that far behind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.