Fridjof B
Norway
Tranby
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really looking forward to this one!

I have had my eyes on Extrablatt at some point, but never played it. Does someone (Andrew?) know if this game gave some inspiration to Extra! Extra!? Thematically they seem to be on the same track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bond
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
greetingsfrombergen wrote:
I'm really looking forward to this one!

I have had my eyes on Extrablatt at some point, but never played it. Does someone (Andrew?) know if this game gave some inspiration to Extra! Extra!? Thematically they seem to be on the same track.

Thanks for the enthusiasm for my game.

The inspiration for Extra! Extra! was actually Waddington's version of Scoop, a game I played as a boy in the 1970s. That had cards that you collected into sets (reporter, photographer, and telephone, if I recall properly). Then you made a telephone call to see what story your editor would print. Each story (randomly selected) was worth a different amount of money and had humorous text on it. The winner was the player with the most valuable stories once his or her newspaper was full.

In Extra! Extra!, I stole all those ideas and tried to put a modern touch to them. I also mixed in a wicked bidding system which was inspired by Stefan Feld's The Speicherstadt ... but I'll leave you to discover that for yourself.

I hadn't heard of Extrablatt until a friend lent me his copy to see what else in my game had been done before! Again, it has similar components to my game (how can it not), but I never got to play it to gauge any other similarities.

I had not heard of any other newpaper games at the time (EE's first public outing was in June 2012 - see Item for Geeklist "Games played at Epsom Games Club 21.06.12 " ), so that's why I started the Geeklist on newspaper games, here: Newspaper games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fridjof B
Norway
Tranby
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for a prompt answer. I guess someone else who played both games may do a comparison at some point.

The theme is somewhat unusual, at least if you compare it to the amount of games about farming, space exploration and Chtlutlutudull for instance. And of the (currently 12 known) newspaper games, only about half of them are not in the spin/roll/move category.

Good luck with the launch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bond
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
greetingsfrombergen wrote:
The theme is somewhat unusual, at least if you compare it to the amount of games about farming, [etc]

Which is why Mayfair took a punt on a game from a first-time designer!

Quote:
Good luck with the launch!

Thanks, I can't wait
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My parents bought me all the Waddington games as they came out in the 1960s and 70s. First was Monopoly, then the horse racing game, Totopoly (one I still play now- can't believe it hasn't been snapped up and re-branded), then Cluedo, then, I think Risk and Scoop. Waddington's then went all awry with Blast Off! and Wildlife and went bust.

I recall that scoop had great money (large and fairly thick £100s) and great production. The adverts were particularly good, and all the stories you added to your paper were, well, "real" stories- reflecting some weird and wonderful post-war phobias and obsessions.

The phone was the centre-piece make or break device. You "called" the editor and he could say anything from "story libellous- cannot use it" to "Three star story" which was good!

I will deffo look up Extra Extra and read all about it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bond
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Chou4555 wrote:
My parents bought me all the Waddington games as they came out in the 1960s and 70s. First was Monopoly, then the horse racing game, Totopoly (one I still play now- can't believe it hasn't been snapped up and re-branded), then Cluedo, then, I think Risk and Scoop. Waddington's then went all awry with Blast Off! and Wildlife and went bust.

You and me too!

My parents bought me:

Monopoly
Cluedo
Mine-a-Million* - my favourite and inspiration for my oil game proptotype (Brent Crude - sadly still in prototype)
Scoop
Formula One
Risk
Blast Off (I quite liked this when I was a kid - doesn't stack up now)

*subsequently renamed 'The Business Game' - boring title! We want mines!!

I didn't get Wildlife or Totopoly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooh yesss! I forgot about Mine a Million and Formula 1. Both v good. Will look them up on eBay!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Reid
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I played Extra Extra for the first time yesterday and my immediate thoughts were "This is an awesome euro-reimagining of Scoop!". I think the inspiration shows through, only in a good way.

Brought back memories of using that cardboard telephone as a child at my Granny's house (as well as wondering who the hell The News Chronicle was).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bond
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
iainreid wrote:
So I played Extra Extra for the first time yesterday and my immediate thoughts were "This is an awesome euro-reimagining of Scoop!". I think the inspiration shows through, only in a good way.

Brought back memories of using that cardboard telephone as a child at my Granny's house (as well as wondering who the hell The News Chronicle was).

Fond memories playing Scoop at my Granny's on Xmas Day ...

Extra! Extra! is meant to be my homage to Scoop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.