Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Kohr
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How long have you found that the 6-turn scenario of SoR runs, the first time you play it?

How about the 9-turn scenario?

I see from Chris Farrell's blog that it took him about 5 hours to get through 6 turns the first time he played (which was with 4 new players, it appears), and ultimately 7 hours to play the full 9.

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first time we played (4 newbies), it was around 7 hours for the full game IIRC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Woodson
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My range for a four player game has been 6 to 9 hours for a six turn game with newbies. I think it depends on how much gaming experience your players have, especially with card driven games. If everyone has been through the rules at least once and has thier own copy that will cut at least an hour off the game time.

I played a three player game once which only took five hours. Theorectically you could get a four player game down to four hours but everyone would have to know the game really well (especailly the faction they are playing).

I recommend the effort, it's really worth the troble. It's a well balance four player game with a great historical feel. You don't even have to make six turns the first couple of times if it is too long. Every time I play it the game gets better and better. Sometimes a new player can throw the balance because they don't really know what they are doing. I didn't like the three player game as much but it did play faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kohr
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bluedionysius wrote:
My range for a four player game has been 6 to 9 hours for a six turn game with newbies. I think it depends on how much gaming experience your players have, especially with card driven games.

9 hours is really long! Of our 4 players, we will have 3 newbies to this game, but we've all played a fair number of CDGs, so I am hoping it won't go over 6 hours for the 6 turn scenario.

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wray Ferrell
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
davekohr wrote:
9 hours is really long! Of our 4 players, we will have 3 newbies to this game, but we've all played a fair number of CDGs, so I am hoping it won't go over 6 hours for the 6 turn scenario.

I would budget an hour per turn for your first game. 4 players x 5 actions = 20 actions per turn with time needed for end of turn stuff. 2 1/2 mins per action is 50 mins leaving 10 mins for reinforcements, scoring, etc..

Also make sure you download the 1.3 version of the rules as it clarifies a number of things and also has a list of FAQ about the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
In my and 3 friends' first game (for everyone), I think it came down to about 45 minutes a turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kohr
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wray wrote:
I would budget an hour per turn for your first game.

Also make sure you download the 1.3 version of the rules

Thanks Wray. We do have v. 1.3 of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a 4player newbie game on Sat and it took about 5-6 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.