Popular Tags: [View All]
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, has the specialty game market reached saturation? Do we need anymore Euros, Wargames, Abstracts, American-style games? I mean, there are literally hundreds of games in print, and thousands of games available if one includes OOP games readily available on various sites like eBay. While perhaps glut is too strong of a word to use, it certainly seems like a plethora of games exist that often cover the same territory and use some mix of the same mechanics over and over and over again. I own 186 games and while there are some games I would still like to get someday, these games already exist. I can't really think of a burning gaming itch that I couldn't scratch with an existing game.

Now, I can certainly understand the game designers and producers who would say that of course the hobby needs more games, and I mean no offense to these fine people, but from the hobbyist point of view, do we really need any more new games? What games do you think we need that don't already exist? What gaps exist in the extensive line of games available to today's gamer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david funch
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Nah dawg, we're cool. As long as we get expansions and updated versions of our favorite games, sa'll good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david funch
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
What gaps exist in the extensive line of games available to today's gamer?

Someone needs to make a fantasy train game. You own a train and you need to pick up and deliver while making sure that orcs and giants don't train heist you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
pothocket wrote:
Someone needs to make a fantasy train game. You own a train and you need to pick up and deliver while making sure that orcs and giants don't train heist you.

Uhhh... http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/130

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Mamula
United States
Oakmont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd bet that this very question was asked back in the 70s and 80s and 90s...

While I agree that there is an over abundance of games available, I also believe that there is a yet undiscovered style, mechanism, or theme that will revitalize the hobby and renew interest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes. I need more games. Next question?

Seriously... last weekend I was watching some people playing 2038 and I thought, "Man, if these components looked better and the rules were a bit more streamlined and required less calculator work, I would LOVE this game!"

Then, I saw the new news about the new Descent expansion and thought, "Wow, if only this had a Cthulhu theme, it would be amazing!"

Then I saw the latest postings about Battlelore and thought, "This would be so cool if it used space troopers a bit like Warhammer 40k!"

Even the new stuff is not new enough for me... Endless possibilities!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
Do we need any new books?
Do you have any idea of how much literature has been written over the years?

What? "Books"? Oh, you mean those papery things my wife puts on the shelf to pretty up our family room? Yes, books, of course we need more books, at least until there are no more empty spaces on our shelves! devil

Funny you mention books, because that is another category of things of which I own many, and have probably not read more than a third of those I own. I used to buy quite a few books, but I've slowed down now that I have concluded I should probably read a few more before buying more. Also, I have multiple books on the same subjects (mostly history) and after awhile, I do wonder if it isn't just a bit of overkill. How many books discussing the D-Day invasion of Normandy does one person need? And how many games exploring the D-Day invasion of Normandy does anyone need? I guess I simply question the sometimes seemingly blind consumption of these items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Yim
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
What games do you think we need that don't already exist?

The games I need that don't exist are all ones that I didn't know didn't exist until they exist.

Seriously, how can we hope for surprise and innovation in our hobby if we are convinced that everything we need already exists?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Hellyer
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
Yes. We need a good American Civil War campaign-level game that can be played in 4 hours or less. We need a good baseball game where the batter has more choices than Swing and Bunt (like Power, Contact, Bunt, Take). We need a Ticket to Ride game set in a war zone where supplies are delivered behind shifting lines and trains can be blown up. We need a Diplomacy-type game with a small luck factor, so that luck rather than personal animosity can be blamed for an unfavorable outcome. We need interesting games with rulebooks of 4-6 pages instead of 40-60 pages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Gang
Canada
flag msg tools
I think we need more games. In fact that is why I invented one! It's called Jargonition and it's a creative word game.

Here's how Jargonition is played.

Every day I publish a new definition and matching cartoon on my site www.jargonition.com. The player's challenge is to create word -- a jargonism -- that fits the definition. It's easy, right? And it's fun because each player gets to create a new word, then vote for the winner.

Each definition is focused on a particular foible, quirk or oddities of modern life, and comes with an original cartoon, so it's usually good for a laugh...

This game is brand new! In fact no one has played it yet.

I am announcing it for the very first time on BoardGameGeek, because I would like to get some feedback from you.

So, if you don't mind being a "Beta Tester", please visit the site and try it out!

Go to: http://www.jargonition.com

Let me know what you think!

Cheers,

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes and No.

Yes: You always wanna try something new - some new mixture of known mechanics. It's like food: Don't you like different kind of food or do you always eat hamburgers? I think games is like our food.

No: At a certain point you'll not be able to play games again as there will be too many to play all good ones often enough. But again, it's the same like with food: You can't eat the same too often if you wanna try out all the stuff there is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

For wargames, the surface has been barely scratched (in fact CDGs just opened up a whole slew of new possibilities). The Myanmar (Burma) vs. Thailand conflicts. The Cambodian Khmer Rouge revolution. The Chinese revolution. The invasion of Japan by the Mongols. Etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. Do we need new systems for each of these conflicts, probably not. Scenarios would be very nice for excisting systems than can handle the conflict type with a bit of added chrome. I'm always elated when I see a wargame that doesn't focus on WW2, Napoleon, ACW, ARW, 30YW, 100YW, or the many other conflicts involving mostly white euro/american forces that already have at least a handful of games focusing on them. MMPs upcoming re-prints of Samurai Lords & A Most Dangerous Time is very exciting.

For eurogames, there's probably still some nifty mechanics out there that haven't been touched. However I am seeing mechanics overlapping one another more and more so for me my euro purchases have scaled down tremendously in favor of wargames. Still, there's always a euro or two on my gotta get wishlist so they haven't fully run their course yet. And I doubt they ever really will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The big game niche

I am in the same boat as you are...buy, buy, buy, play, play, play, and al seems to cover my itches but nothing seems to satisfy....I am always looking for that next game to pleases my unfulfilled and undefinable satisfaction.

Maybe if once a year a game would be produced, we look differently at it and are more recetive.

Actually I am looking for the thrill A&A gave me in the eightees. So far nothing came close to satisfying the feeling Ihad when I played A&A and Shogun and everyday I am at the Geek looking for a game that can give me the same thrill.

The big niche in gaming imho lies in the field of Gamemaster Series type of games:
-The whole world (read: I)is waiting for a Supremacy type of game that actually works.
T-he whole world (read: I)is eagerly waiting for a next line of Gamemaster series that will shake the gaming world.

Twilight Struggle is going into that direction but has too much cardboard and imho Card driven is over the hill.

All my hopes are with Rains of Power by Fantasy Flight -due 2008?- and seems to have a topic that could possibly scratch not only my gamers itch but rock the world.

To have Puerto Rico no. 2 on the list must be the goal!

Maybe someday a game will appear that revolutionises all existing topics and systems.
As for gameproducers: the focus is more on money than true ambition. This is logic but the gaming world is waiting for a next revolution of some kind.

Will Reins of Power by Fantasy Flight be my holy grail?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
As others have mentioned... we have an unending appetite for new things... books, music, electronics, movies, cars... etc etc.

I don't think that will ever end. Do we NEED new games? Not really.

I can get by with all the books, music, electronics, movies and cars in the world that exist now and if nothing new was ever made I wouldn't shed a tear... and that includes boardgames.

That ain't gonna happen though. As long as we are alive humans as a species are going to think and create and a lot of those creations are going to be repetitive and inferior to what was done in the past but some will also be unique and innovative and improvements on what we have now.

I'll buy some new games that appeal to me but I'll likely buy fewer and be more selective going forward. I personally don't see the need for a 500 game collection. I'm much more of the mindset that I'd like maybe 50-75 of the BEST games. That means I'm likely to buy only a few each year and also cull a few that are superceded by "better" games.

While there are more and more repetitive games being produced there are also many interesting designs still being made and likely some REALLY good games on the horizon.

Boardgaming in terms of physical cardboard, wood and plastic bits could very well be at it's peak right now and likely headed downwards and the trend to "digitalized" boardgaming will likely be the next wave which we are already seeing. I can see the growth of boardgaming not in cardboard boxes but on interactive consoles like Nintendo Wii's, XBox 360's and Playstation 3's.

Whether or not that's still boardgaming in the traditional sense is debatable... but I think that's the trend of boardgaming.

I suspect there's only a few games each year that sell in the type of quantities to make their publishers any real profits. The Catan series and it's derivatives...the TTR series... the Carc series....each year's SdJ winners and a few nominees along for the ride until the novelty wears off. Geeks make up a small niche that buy up older titles from back catalogs of games to fill up their collections to saturation point until they've "seen and done it all".

If playing these "good games" we all talk about here on BGG is ever going to be anything more than a stangnant niche hobby for a few geeks around the globe... they will have to be hybridized and digitized into something the broader masses can sink their minds into. Made into something that the Harry Potter folks can relate to... and something the millions of Sims fans can play.

I personally like the tactile nature of picking up my wooden pieces and moving them into Bayern and throwing 12 blue cubes in a funny looking battle tower. I like watching someone's face turn red and being called a bastard when I drown their dinosaurs in Trias.

It wouldn't feel the same if I were playing someone in Spain over a PS3...
unless it was a big screen TV on that PS3 with real time live audio and video feeds using next generation EYE TOY type controls so we could all sit around playing A Game Of Thrones and talk trash with swearing and backstabbing that makes you want to kick your opponent in the groin through the screen. That would be a pretty close simulation of face to face boardgaming, not perfect but certainly a big step up over PBEM or Brettspielwelt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(Mr.) Kim Beattie
United States
Rocklin
CA
flag msg tools
Embrace your inner geek!
badge
In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course we need more new games! What would I spend my money on if not new games?

Every two weeks money magically appears in my bank account. It's my job to spend that money before even more money magically appears. It is my fear that if I don't spend the money fast enough, my bank account will fill up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.