Popular Tags: mechanics [+] [View All]
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am curious. I just recently acquired China, El Grande Decennial, and Tempus (Some think of this as an area majority game) in the past week.

I had a trade offered to me that includes Lowenherz.

My question is, is this too many area control/majority games? I haven't really played many of them, and haven't gotten any of the new ones to the table yet.

While I can see how great these games can be (by reading the rules only so far), I am wondering if getting Lowenherz may be too much of a good thing...

Or am I wrong. Are all of these so different that adding Lowenherz won't be an issue...

Thanks for your advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Lowenherz isn't an area majority game, it is a negotiation and combat game. Or negotiation and some unique other thing game.

I don't think it's similar to the rest of the bunch there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. Huddleston
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your missing Mykerinos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I think that area majority is such a broad concept that two games that both employ it can still be as different as night and day. I'm glad I own El Grande and San Marco and Louis XIV and China, etc. I hope to get Mykerinos at some point too, and am also considering Tempus. I think each of these games adds enough of a twist to the idea of area majority to make them unique.

I also have Lowenherz, but never thought of it as fitting in this genre of area majority. You're certainly trying to control territory, but not by building majorities in the same way that you are as in El Grande, San Marco, and Louis XIV. I'm not a fan of Lowenherz, so I'd say don't trade for it, but that's not at all because I think it's too similar to the others. It must be different in some way for it to be a game I don't like compared with the others that all get a 9 or 10 from me, so if Lowenherz seems like your cup of tea then go for it because I sure don't see much overlap.

EDIT: If you want to slim down your area majority collection, you can just send Liberte my way, I've heard that sort of fits the bill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Diosi
Canada
Newcastle
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Lowenhertz is sufficiently different to warrant its inclusion in your list. It is also a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

That''s really all I wanted to know, if it was different enough to be a good addition to my collection.

Now to see if I want the trade or not...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.