Subject: The Strange Diary of Leo Anderson rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Danny Stevens
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Games: Design 'em, rewrite 'em, play 'em!
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldritch Horror is a game so rich in theme that it is most pleasurable played slowly. I have started a solo game, where I intend to play one turn every night or two and write up the turns as journal entries in this thread, starting with turn 1 tonight.

June 12, Buenos Airies
As I write this an oversize tarantula has squeezed under my door. Simple creatures. Predators obviously but no threat to the sane world. Karl snores heavily in the chair, the empty whiskey bottle on the floor beside him. Sturdy man, knows when to keep it tight and when to let it out.

My inbound letters are stacked neatly on my table. Charles informs me of a disturbance in London, Song Ching of rumours in the Himalayas. These portents link with my findings in the Andes. The tablets there, proto Mayan no doubt, and even now barely translated, suggest a distressing astronomical alignment is upon us.

I have penned a letter to Professor Sorrenson who is currently with the Arctic expedition. If we put our knowledge together things may become clearer. Its possible I may discuss this with him in person, as the dark hints I found in that Stygian chamber lead me to travel to a small and barren atoll in the Southern Ocean, a storm tossed and bleak place where I will not linger long.

However this is a poor time of year for travel to the British research station. I have sent cables to several merchant captains of my acquaintance and hope to secure some return passage in the next couple of months.

I have picked up an extra bottle of Dutch courage and stashed it in my kit. Karl, being Dutch, probably doesn't need it. It may be a long time between drinks.

June 13, Buenos Airies

The events in the dark roots of the Andes disturb my dreams. I am sure the device I found there had some effect on me,a boon or curse I cannot say. The wall drawings. I cannot yield to the idea that they suggest, of a people that descend not from apes but reptiles.

Our trip is secure. We make passage tomorrow morning on El Hombre.

11:40 pm

I have succumbed to the temptation of the bar. Senior Pomero has supplied me the worst of his rotgut at an unreasonable price. I have made myself ill I believe. My hand still shakes from the dream. It was of that awful shadow in Rome. In my dream it points and curses from the dark beneath the Colosseum. The silence of it screams in my mind still.

I have not touched the whiskey. I will keep it as a challenge. Yes. Karl doesn't need it. Indeed he still sleeps heavily in his chair. He shan't have it. I will keep it. Its mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Wilson
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
badge
There Can Be Only One! The Wrong One!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great start, hope it all goes well. Knowing how the game plays it will surely have a few nasty surprises waiting to catch you out when you least expect it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Stevens
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, nasty surprises abound. Turn 2.

June 14. Southern Ocean.

I saw a nicely made bullwhip in the bazaar on the way to the docks this morning. I tried negotiating for it but the vendor obviously thought that as an American I must be wealthy. Once they get that idea in their heads there is no shaking it.

We have embarked on El Hombre and are steaming south south east for the atoll, known as La Casa de Hidra. The crew are a little apprehensive of meeting their mythical sea queen. If only their minds could comprehend what really lies below their superstitions would fade away to nothing.

June 15. Southern Ocean.

The swell is ominous and the depths are an obsidian darkness. Karl is light of spirit, enjoying the crew's special coffee blend.

June 16. La Casa de Hidra.

We approached the dismal atoll beneath a grey and oppressive sky. The chill southern winds tore across the deck and screeched through the ship's rigging. The swell of yesterday is calmed slightly but the sea still throws violent white spray as the waves crash amongst the atoll's brooding cliffs. We have made port in a bay sheltered in the lee of the cliffs. Tomorrow we begin our research. I find myself thinking often of that whiskey bottled snuggled amongst my shirts.

June 17. La Casa de Hidra.

Deep in the night I was awakened by the sound of fighting on the top deck. Karl and I ran to investigate and found ourselves in the midst of a nightmare!

In the dark, barely lit by the watch lamp and the cabin lights, the crew struggled with wet, disfigured and scaled forms. The rank odor of a fish catch gone bad assaulted our senses as the creatures assaulted the crew.

One of the creatures pinned me to the deck with a webbed hand and spoke. The horror of a voice speaking plain English from that fowl face with glaring, fish like eyes! "The stars are right," it croaked in my face, the miasma of its breath settling upon me, "and the shadow in Rome laughs at you, cursed one! R'lyeh Ftang!" At this Karl arrived to my assistance and threw the creature off me. Between us we drove it to the balustrade and back to the pitch plutonian sea from whence it came.

None of the crew were seriously harmed, and the captain thinks he may have hit one of the things with a couple of rounds he fired off to chase them away. Strain and perhaps a glint of madness was in each man's face. I decided we should make for shore as the sun rose to minimize our time here and to get us far from this cursed rock.

In the pale light of the morning sun, filtered through a thin scudding of cloud, we made our way to the shell encrusted beach. There after only a brief climb we found, as I expected, the pedestal and altar of an entirely inhuman craftsmanship. It was surrounded by evidence of the frenzied activities of those things that accosted us earlier. Fortunately the pillar was broken and truncated, saving us from the hideous likeness that no doubt once adorned it.

My research took only a few hours amongst the foul ruins. With the notes from my field book to assist I got the data I needed to confirm my suspicions. If only I had been wrong.

That bottle of whiskey calls to me now as never before. I see that creature lurking in every shadow now. When I look to my mirror to shave I see its face rather than my own. My hand shakes too hard to shave properly and so I know that I will drown my fears with that bottle tonight. Tomorrow we make for Chile and then Karl and I go on to a desolate and horror haunted place in the South Pacific, not far from Easter Island. A place where even now I know the waters have receded to reveal the nightmare that is R'lyeh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Stevens
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Turns 3 & 4

Late June?, Pacific Ocean

I have been deceived! The dreams and the madness come wave upon wave while the Wind Walker howls in his Northern Wasteleand. Around me my well armed, batrachian companions shuffle in discomfort amidst the six dimensional ruins as I pull together the last translation to learn of the deceit played against me.

After Case de Hidra I needed rest, much rest. Back on the mainland I took to gambling in the evening and sleeping in the day while Karl fretted. During that time I ran up some considerable debt but I was heedless. I needed to allay my fears.

I still kept seeing the creature in the shadows and when I looked in the mirror. Karl took on a frog like appearance in my eyes. I gave up trying to clear the hallucination away and just accepted him as I saw him. Then I had the dream.

I awoke in the fabulous city of crystal pillars, reaching to cyclopean heights. I saw the people, dressed in fair and flowing gowns but strangely transparent and elusive. In their midst like a stark rebuke ran my own shadow. The shadow of G'klah-neh-rhu, grand wizard of Atlantis. And that is were I knew I now stood. On the ground before me lay four small eggs. They cracked open and from each a wisp of smoke slithered and squirmed toward me. "What are they?" I cried and my own voice answered "the seeds of your madness!".

Then my voice spoke to me, "Come, see the city that is arisen." and now I stood upon the hideous shore of the risen city of R'lyeh. Much of the waking world is permissive in only three physical dimensions but I could see that this place, most plainly, was permissive in six. And the master of the city was near. That is the last I remember before awakening with a scream.

That morning Captain Montalban met me in the cafe. "Senior Anderson" he said "we have measured the disturbance you expected at the seismic center. The admiral has asked me to take you to the site aboard my cruiser El Hierro Guardián." To me he appeared as a toad in naval uniform but I knew, behind my mad vision was a noble man. We set sail that day.

It took little time to find that low lying boil on the ocean that is R'lyeh. Rings of low cliffs surrounded the low, basalt shapes that are the towers of that cursed place, stretching barely five yards in our time and space yet being unfathomably tall in the dark and horrible dimension they writhed in. The frog captain and his frog men armed themselves and came ashore with Karl and myself.

As soon as I set foot on that seaweed encrusted shore I knew the path I had to follow. I had seen it in a my dream and it was laid before me. I lead the team through the terrifying silence to the room that was up or down a long flight of stairs in the threem direction. And there on the walls were the gnang leh histories. And I could read them, like a native.

The tale they told was ancient. The tale of the elder race that fought the star spawn and drove them all into the strange time dimensions in the crypts of R'lyeh. I wrote the details down on my pad knowing this was the last thing I needed to end my torment and the threat that had so quietly arisen, and then I translated the palimsest laid across the glyphs "Lligor Ia Ryth, in yang corsan yrl Cthylia brent! Gur rach'ygl R'lyeh glain."

So the guardian of the gate was not here! She was at another island, preparing the counter spells. She had pulled herself up from the depths and was sprawling around an altar with a broken column, ullulating to the moon and sky amidst the roiling waves of the Southern Ocean! I had been so close and I had been drawn away!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great! Can't wait to read more.

"As I write this an oversize tarantula has squeezed under my door." One of the best opening lines EVER!!!

My only stylistic advice: phrases such as "horror-haunted" and "storm-tossed" should be hyphenated, it's more Lovecraftian that way.

One question- How on Earth do you limit yourself to just one turn per night? Aren't you dying to see what happens next?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Stevens
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thoth Amon wrote:
One question- How on Earth do you limit yourself to just one turn per night? Aren't you dying to see what happens next?

Oh yes, this last turn was fraught and I spent hours wondering what I was going to do. I was dying to rush down to the den and play it because everything would hang on a few dice rolls either way.

Wait no longer! Turn 5

July or August Buenos Aires
How to proceed? How to face the unthinkable while holding together the shards of my mind?

The hallucinations come thick, and fast now. Am I writing this or dictating? There are guards I think. Captain Montalban visits me often, which is strange as I am assured he went down with the El Hierro Guardián.

I remember arriving back at this beautiful city, its clean wholesome air and fresh winds. I knew I could not go much further. However much I rested my mind was slipping to madness. So I did what I do best, I found an ally. Señora Pelonegro knew her way around the hidden parts of the city, and the "club" the admiral haunted. Captain Montalban and I found the opportune moment to speak with him.

It was hard. All I could see was a squat, pulsating form with its tentacle around some terrified woman. But none of the others around me reacted so I held myself together and pulled out my lucky cigarette case. I told the Admiral a tale, with the help of Montalban and the Señora that alarmed him very much. We spoke deep into the night and around midnight I was no longer persuading, but helping to draw a plan, a plan to quarantine Casa de Hidra with four destroyers lead by El Hierro Guardián.

I made my excuses in the morning and stumbled back to the hotel. Creatures lurked in every shadow. Strange croaking voices called to me. Karl had degenerated to some kind of poisonous amphibian and he croaked me to sleep. I remember little else. I am told the fleet encountered a horror at the atoll, a writhing mass that ululated to the sky from its grim perch atop the islands rocky peak. That ship after ship fired salvos against it while time and again it lashed out, smashing at decks and crew with its tentacles, taking down two of the destroyers.

August 28, Buenos Aires
I look back on my diary and cannot believe my eyes. How ill I have been! All these pages are madness, nothing more. It seems I did owe quite a lot of money to a local mob but Karl helped me see them off. He is taciturn as ever and has spoken little of our time over the past few months. He must be quite concerned, given the looks he gives me now.

It is true that several ships of the fleet were engaged in a battle in the Southern Ocean but I am informed that that was a battle with well equipped pirates who have made their last raid and now sleep in the deeps. I received a visit from the admiral to inquire my health and bring me some whiskey, a rather fine bottle. I am embarrassed to say I must have actually accosted him with my stories as depicted in my earlier diary entry. He gave me a rather strange look when I apologised to him and he made his excuses quickly, taking the guards with him that had been protecting me from myself. I guess I will never know what he was thinking.

There is no risen city near Easter Island, no conspiracy to raise some ancient terror, no favoured position of the stars. It was all a mad dream.

The End
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Clausen
Denmark
højbjerg
NA
flag msg tools
Awesome read!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.