Subject: Krassis and Cluster Missiles? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Chadwick

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just realized that the Firespray can take missiles? I never knew that. So, always wanting Ordnance to work, I look for ways to make it happen. Cluster Missiles are pretty good against a lot of different ships, just not ones with a lot of green. So, with Krassis being able to re-roll one attack die with a secondary weapon, why haven't I seen anyone take Cluster Missiles on him before?

Concussion Missiles look much more of option to me, as well. I tend to roll blanks and getting one turned into a hit is great for me. Getting that and then a re-roll on one die seems to make this a viable option, as well.

I admit it's been a while since I flew the Firespray, but only due to trying other ships out. Is this not a good option?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
"because the HLC is also pretty sweet and works against everything" would be the answer I assume.

clusters seem sweet too. If I all I see is decimators and falcons I'd toss them on there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
"because the HLC is also pretty sweet and works against everything" would be the answer I assume.

clusters seem sweet too. If I all I see is decimators and falcons I'd toss them on there!

Yep, that's pretty much it. Why take a one-time-use ordnance for 4-5 points when you could take something that can be used every turn for 7 points? On top of that, by taking Clusters and no cannon, you're turning Krassis's pilot ability into a one-time-use ability... so wasting part of the 3-point premium you spent on him over a Bounty Hunter. That said, Krassis + HLC has a "blind spot" at range 1, so I could envision somebody trying Krassis + HLC + Clusters for use of his ability at all ranges out his front arc... but then you're spending 47 points on a PS5 Firespray, which is a pretty hefty amount of points.

Also, Clusters requires Krassis to have a Target Lock, and since he usually gets a free reroll with his Cannon, he tends to take Focus or Evade more often than TL. And setting up TL for Clusters isn't trivial, since his PS is only 5; prime targets like a Falcon or Decimator are likely to activate after him and might not be in arc or the correct range, which makes it hard to optimize your action efficiency.

When Mangler Cannon hits, I think Krassis might see a revival; 3 dice with a reroll at all ranges (front arc only though) plus auto hit -> crit conversion for only 4 points is pretty sweet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Garman
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
When Mangler Cannon hits, I think Krassis might see a revival; 3 dice with a reroll at all ranges (front arc only though) plus auto hit -> crit conversion for only 4 points is pretty sweet.

Kath will benefit a lot from the Mangler cannon too. The Mangler almost always gives you at least one crit result, and Kath's ability makes that crit hurt even if the target evades it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chadwick

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok....sounds good. Yeah, I was looking at both Krassis and Kath with the Mangler cannon. I can't wait.

Yeah, the HLC is just a few points more and works more than once. Makes sense.

Who would be good crew to add to Krassis with HLC? I was thinking of 4 Ties. Maybe:

Backstabber
Black Squadron
2 x Academy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
heychadwick wrote:
Ok....sounds good. Yeah, I was looking at both Krassis and Kath with the Mangler cannon. I can't wait.

Yeah, the HLC is just a few points more and works more than once. Makes sense.

Who would be good crew to add to Krassis with HLC? I was thinking of 4 Ties. Maybe:

Backstabber
Black Squadron
2 x Academy

Back in the day, I had some success with Fel/PtL and Phennir/VI coming in from the flanks while your opponent most likely takes on Krassis head-on. But in today's environment, I'd consider (a) Howlrunner + 3 Obsidians or (b) Whisper/VI/ACD/Captive + Dark Curse or (c) a 57-point Decimator.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chadwick

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm anti-Howlrunner and don't own a Phantom, but the Decimator looks like a possibility. The only problem is I ordered mine with S&V pre-order from MM and none will ship until they are all out. So, no Decimator yet.

I think having a list with Krassis with Ion Cannon and Kath with Mangler Cannon could be fun. Krassis with Tactician and Kath with Rebel Captive, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Howlrunner is Imperial Biggs, and a good Swarm Tactics carrier.
Firespray can also take Torpedos, as a side note. Flechette those Phantoms!

Kath+Flechette+Mangler+Rebel Captive/Mara Jade. Not the most cost effective, but stress everywhere!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeykins wrote:
Howlrunner is Imperial Biggs, and a good Swarm Tactics carrier.

If you want Howlrunner without Howlrunner, bring along Predator! It's like Howlrunner...built in!

Howlrunner + 4x Avenger = roll 18 dice, keep your best 14...against everyone! Until Howl dies.

4x Royal Guard + Predator = roll 16 dice, keep your best 12...against PS3+ pilots. Or roll 20 dice and keep your best 12...against PS1-2 pilots. And you keep the rerolls until ALL your pilots die.

iNano78 wrote:
Also, Clusters requires Krassis to have a Target Lock, and since he usually gets a free reroll with his Cannon, he tends to take Focus or Evade more often than TL. And setting up TL for Clusters isn't trivial, since his PS is only 5; prime targets like a Falcon or Decimator are likely to activate after him and might not be in arc or the correct range, which makes it hard to optimize your action efficiency.

Eh, that's not as much of an issue with cluster missiles. For secondaries that can fire to range 3, yeah, it's a problem, as the movement cadence will often find an enemy entering your weapon range AFTER you've taken your action, so cannot TL.

But it'd be pretty unusual to jump from 'out of range' all the way down to 'range 1-2' in a single turn, unless Kath got well outmaneuvered.

The shorter range of the weapon should allow Kath to somewhat anticipate whether to use the HLC and focus, or to plan for the missiles and TL (as in - if you cannot take the TL action, odds are good you are too far away to be able to fire the missiles this turn REGARDLESS of what the enemy does, unless they are already pointing at you)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.