Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Empire Builder» Forums » General

Subject: Consolidated Storage? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
All of these crayon rail games seem to have the same set of components:

map
load chits
cards
money

Has anyone considered consolidating several into some sort of neat storage or is everyone simply keeping original boxes?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably not worth it.

Sorting out which chits you need for a particular game would be a pain if they were consolidated. Also, cards aren't shared -- so no consolidation makes sense there either.

And, if you use poker chips instead of money (as many do), the only real consolidation advantage would be lost there, too.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I already store the load chits in one of those chessex chit trays. I tossed the insert in my games as the chits would slide out everywhere during transportation.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Voisin
United States
Lockport
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just cover that insert the chits are in with aluminum foil, then tuck it around and flatten the top down, to help keep all the load chits in there place. Granted the foil only last about 5 games of un-wrapping and re-wrapping. But it really is nice not to have to sort them out each game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RVoisin wrote:
I just cover that insert the chits are in with aluminum foil, then tuck it around and flatten the top down, to help keep all the load chits in there place. Granted the foil only last about 5 games of un-wrapping and re-wrapping. But it really is nice not to have to sort them out each game.

We used to use Press-N-Seal, which is kind of a reusable sticky plastic wrap. Worked really well, and stood up to multiple uses.

(When my partner was unemployed last year she made foam inserts for plastic cases for each game, so we don't mess with the Press-N-Seal anymore. Except for India Rails, which we got after the unemployment spell broke.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the Puffing Billy folks have nice consolidation. The tournament sets I have seen them use have tray with chits and the rollable maps.

One of the guys at Chattanooga one year had a nice consolidation. The chips were held in wooden holders with pegs. All of the cards were separated into on of those old cassette tape 3 drawer storage boxes. Everything fit into a single carrying case. It was really impressive.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
seppo21 wrote:
Some of the Puffing Billy folks have nice consolidation. The tournament sets I have seen them use have tray with chits and the rollable maps.

One of the guys at Chattanooga one year had a nice consolidation. The chips were held in wooden holders with pegs. All of the cards were separated into on of those old cassette tape 3 drawer storage boxes. Everything fit into a single carrying case. It was really impressive.


Right. This is the sort of thing I'm thinking of. Like how memoir 44 fans would get the base game and all expansions into a tackle box or something.

There's got to be a way to consolidate these games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Collins
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep all my sets together. Currently each deck is in an UltraPro plastic case (300 card size), and the trains and loads are thinner UltraPro plastic cases (150 cards). I use china markers and have gotten rid of all the crayons. And finally the I laminated some of the money (two sets if I recall) and use that for all the games.

I'm considering combining the load chips if I can find a way to keep them organized, and pull out the ones needed for each game. The boxes I'm currently using had a small problem when the box I keep everything in got tipped on the side and some of the load chips escaped from their boxes. I need to go through each set and figure out if they have the right ones. The other reason I'm considering combining is to make things fit in one box easier. As it is, they take a lot more space than needed if combined.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Collins
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meant to say I have all the maps in the laminated form, to keep them in a tube for easier storage.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a friend who consolidates everything as follows:
- Load chips: He uses a style of Plano boxes with movable walls, marks the lid with a sticker to ID which is which.
- Maps: He uses roll up maps purchased from Mayfair.
- Cards, chips and pens fit is a tackle box.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Eliason
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mb
Jack Hooligan wrote:
I already store the load chits in one of those chessex chit trays. I tossed the insert in my games as the chits would slide out everywhere during transportation.



I took a piece of cardboard and glued cotton balls on it, one on top of each stacks of load chips. That compresses them enough that they never shift during transport, and doesn't make the box inconveniently big.
2 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Mazzi

Monroeville
New Jersey
msg tools
I'm experimenting with sections of bubble wrap over the chit portion of the insert. Seems to work so far. My only fear is a gamer that likes to pop the bubbles....
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rri1 wrote:
I have a friend who consolidates everything as follows:
- Load chips: He uses a style of Plano boxes with movable walls, marks the lid with a sticker to ID which is which.
- Maps: He uses roll up maps purchased from Mayfair.
- Cards, chips and pens fit is a tackle box.


That's Flambeau Infinite Divider Systems Storage Boxes small 4x7 inch model.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.