Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
You could be playing.
badge
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never played A & A and am interested in giving it a try. Some of the comments have me worried though. Is A&A:Europe truly broken? Is there one "right" way to play germany or else have no chance? Can I get some comments from people who like this game and see what they think? Of course explainations of why I should save my money are welcome too. Thanks

Josh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LC
United States
Florissant
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would recommend that you get Axis & Allies Revised. By far the greatest A&A game of the five that are out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy A&A Europe, but Ted is correct that the game is skewed towards the Germans committing to an all-out drive to Moscow, ignoring the western front altogether. I posted some house rules under the A&A Europe entry here at BGG entitled "Axis and Allies Europe Optional Rule Set v2.doc". I would welcome anyone to take a look and playtest these house rules. The primary purpose of my house rules was to add some historical motivations for the German player to fight a more realistic war. I'd appreciate any feedback, positive or otherwise!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definately go with the full Axis & Allies - Revised:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/10093

I have all 5 sets, and definately like this one the most. Second is the Pacific variant. The other two (or three) are not quite as good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrbass
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You sure it's good the Revised Edition. I tend to trust good ol' DWTripp and highly respect his opinions. He just likes to tell it like it is. Here's his commment about Axis and Allies: Revised Edition

I really don't want to ever play A&A again. It's kind of like one of my ex-wives, I like them fine, yes, they're nice to look at and yes it was great getting "up close and personal" with them. But no, I don't think it'd be the same after all these years.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/DWTripp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In your games, are the Allies not donating ANYthing to the Russian defense?

The rules of A&A Europe specifically set this kind of transfer up in that units can be donated to the Russians, for their control, by either or both of their allies. (Basically, this allows US money to be pumped directly into Moscow... G.B. has its own troubles.)

We've found A&A Europe to be second only to A&A Revised... which is saying that my group really, really likes this game.

What's more, so far (even with the land-wars raging) the outcome has been about evenly split. IMHO, Germany would be better off toying with Russia just enough to keep it off balance (i.e. out of Berlin) and striking at the critically exposed Brittish capitol. The Brits just don't have enough money (assuming Germany thought to take the shipping lines) to keep up their end of a protracted fight, and if the Germans can make the Allies fret about Moscow enough.... the turn-around isn't that hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
You could be playing.
badge
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for all the feedback guys...

I guess A&A revised it it =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.