Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though I've heard others say otherwise, I really don't understand why a non-spy has any reason to look at their location card the rest of the game. They KNOW where they are, and can ask questions and answer questions accordingly.

The Spy, on the other hand, has to sort out all the information he is being given between 26 different locations. Unless he somehow has every location in the game already memorized, he will need to be consulting a list of locations. How is this not a dead giveaway for which person is the Spy? The rest of us ask and answer our questions pretty easily, but there's this person over who always hesitates and keeps looking down at the list of locations. Hmmmm....

What if every player was given a list of locations, which they kept in their lap. And make it so that whenever a player asks or answers a question, they must be looking down at the list of locations. The main thing I don't like about this, though, is the avoidance of eye contact, smirks/smiles, etc that make this game so great.

I just don't know how to get around nailing the spy, especially if they are a new player, by just seeing who keeps looking at their location list. Just giving a list to each player doesn't seem to be enough, since as a non-spy I don't think I need it at all. What am I missing? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been pondering the same thing. There should to be large visual aides conveniently placed for the spy to glance at without looking too obvious. Like index cards or a poster on the table.

I would also grant some leeway to first time spies. If they at least got the gist of the location I would accept it. Like if they said "A business or office" I would accept that as an office party.

After a few games this will not be an issue because people will learn the locations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know why but I've seen nonspys do this quite often.

Play the game then see if it is still a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I don't remember eating corn!
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
I don't know why but I've seen nonspys do this quite often.

Play the game then see if it is still a problem.

I think non-spies would want to make sure they are specific enough to not be seen as the spy while still hinting the possibility of another location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules
Belgium
flag msg tools
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
badge
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
mbmbmbmbmb
We have no real rule that makes you look at the locations (though I suggested one as a potential solution in the other thread) ourselves.

But we do give everyone their own location card. What generally happens in play is that a few people take a longer time to think about coming up with a good question or answer (me most of all!). The other players don't have much to look at in the meantime, and start checking out the locations. So it works out quite naturally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For this very reason we printed off Spy Fall Location List for everyone to reference and when we are playing with new players we encourage everyone to glance at the list of locations to throw everyone off. Under file section (tried to include link but couldn't make it work)

At the same time, when you are the spy, I've never felt the need to know the location to try and answer the question. I'm either just taking a stab at it, or trying to answer in a way that leaves just enough doubt as to my guilt or innocence.

In other words, the spy may want to keep glancing at the card but not while they are being asked a direct question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Cam
Belgium
Kontich
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I've been playing it is the booklet, opened to the list of locations, is always passed to the player who's just asked a question and he's required to look at it while his target is thinking about what question he'll ask. This works without needing any extras that are not in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ther is very important reasons for looking at the list when you are not the spy.

You do not want to ask a questions where the answer reveals the location, so you need several where the answer fits (but not too many, that is the fun )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Herman
United States
Sussex
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that non-spies look at the cards plenty to determine if other players questions are specific/broad enough to merit suspicion and when they are forming a question in order to make it specific/broad enough to not give away too much information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Cam
Belgium
Kontich
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a non-spy, the only reason I would ever look at the location list is because we've agreed to all do this so the spy can look at it too. I don't see how reviewing the other locations helps with forming questions about your one actual location. Even if it does, it's not worth the suspicion you'd raise if you were the only non-spy looking at the list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Les Coteaux
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe instead of a "spy" card, have a Location card? Just a list of all locations with a spy in the middle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.