Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Wilson
United States
Sioux City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As it starts out, I just recently traded for this with my friend Bart. He didn't like the game that much and didn't see a whole lot of reason to play it. I had played it once and really enjoyed it, so I figured it was time to give it another go. Bart thought he would never have to play this game again, but he was wrong as he got wrangled into it.

We started off with everyone selecting one of two characters and getting down to business. We decided to put very little negatives on death so there wouldn't be as huge of a runaway leader problem (you only lost half your gold and got sent back to town).

Early on, Chad had some problems with his character always getting blasted in ranged combat, so after dying his second time, we gave me a new choice of characters. This would prove to be very valuable to him. No sense in somebody not having fun with the game. Now, this got me to thinking, having ranged scores that are very good helps out tremendously, especially early in the game. Not all of the "magic" classes in the game have exceptional ways of dealing out damage because they're injured before they get their attack off. Some have ways of dishing out damage first, but this can slow the rate of advancement down quite a bit on these characters.

We also made sure to use the rules for extra equipment and items, because otherwise 80% of that deck will never see the light of day. This also made me think that maybe magic users need to have a cheap ally that they start out with to help guard them early in the game. In later rounds, they'll be killed off for sure if used, so it could help balance the game out a little.

We kept the game moving based on if the current players actions would affect the next players. If it didn't affect it, we just had the next player take his/her turn with an extra set of d10. This REALLY helped speed the game along and took out much of the downtime. With 5 players though, we soon noticed that early challenges got cycled through REALLY fast and left us longing for expansions to keep the variety going. Overall though, there was a fair amount of satisfaction with everything going on and going smoothly.

The endgame was actually fairly close too, but Bart's character was way ahead of the class. He had a good choice of items AND the Red Scorpion female character with 4/1 in everything, which is huge early in the game and it just compounded. She seems to be a choice character if you use the multiple items and equipment rule (ie, you can have a sword and hammer, but not two swords). Bart decided to do PvP to finish the game and win his third Rune. The runes are extremely powerful and that first one you get really gives a nice boost.

Overall, I think everyone was happy with the game and we made enough tweaks to keep it going and interesting. Still, a tad longer of a game, but one I want to play again (with expansions). Running out of improvements because of the high number of players can be frustrating if you're behind early and not gaining levels as quickly. I'm hoping to find a way to mitigate that, maybe just make extra counters next time.

I think Fantasy Flight Games needs to keep publishing support for this game system as it could be in the playlist a long time. Here's hoping!

Mark Wilson

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Powers
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This may sound a little strange, but this makes me think of Go (chinese game with stones). In Go, a player gets a certain number of extra stones placed in certain spots as part of a handicap system. The greater the difference there is in skill level, the more stones the weaker player gets (up to 9 stones).

What might work in your game is that the player with the handicap would get one or more "advantages" based on the level of handicap. As he/she got better and the skill level balanced, the handicaps would dissapear. Handicaps could include reduced penalty for death, extra equipment, cheaper allies...

Just a thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ruvion .
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We actually play Runebound at a higher difficulty setting then what is in the box. It's challenging (it only result in a few deaths truth be told), but fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben The Man
msg tools
mbmb
higher difficulty?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ruvion .
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ya mon! it's challenging but fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.