Subject: Must I perfom an action in my turn? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefan Hirsch
Germany
Neustadt
flag msg tools
or can I simply do nothing?
It´s important if at the end money is an tiebreaker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Ölmestig
Sweden
Halmstad
Halland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I believe you cannot pass at all, but a house rule we have is that you may if you wish pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Mistiaen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This question arises all the time in our games too. It indeed happened that the player was forced to issue a share just to take an action, which sucks majorly. Of course you could say it is the resultant of poor play from his part, but having nothing to do on your turn is punishment enough, I think.
I'm interested in an official answer also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've had this come up. We decided that a player must take some sort of action. It's become less common for people to want to pass as we've played more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, we need official word here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Val
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In my gaming group passing is not an option. That way, the game encourages better planning of turns and probably speeds up the game (No more:"This turn I'll just save money")
I don't know what the official rules from Eagle are, though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Boyer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
Issuing shares should not count as an action (it's not onoe of the 6 you can take). I am amazed people can have turn where they don't want to do anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Mistiaen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
azdesertmd wrote:
Issuing shares should not count as an action (it's not onoe of the 6 you can take).

We know that. We just mean that you sometimes have to issue a share, because you have no money, and the only action you can take is buliding a track or something (no cube to ship, no card to pick).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the last post I can find from Keith of Eagle Games on this subject, you cannot pass and must take an action. He did say that it may be changed in the future, but I could not find any ;ater post where the ruling was altered.

http://eaglegames.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=6021&postid=38...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Myers
United States
Salem
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember this question coming up before.

I think it was Keith or somebody from Eagle who stated that you must perform an action on your turn. This is to encourage you to plan your turn so you do not have to take a share to build track as your action.

I quickly checked the forums at http://www.eaglegames.net/ but nothing jumped out at me. You might check previous postings on BGG but I think that this question was addressed by somebody from Eagle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick S.
United States
Laguna Niguel
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Turns are so valuable in this game, I don't think I've ever thought about passing. I wonder how it would work if you auctioned your turn to another player? It's a good way to raise funds if you're hurting for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patar Absurdus the Shananigator
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
"what you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought.
badge
Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an old set of posts but I think it has the most thumbs for this question so I thought I would note the following.

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/13855885#13855885
NuMystic wrote:

This contradicts some of the common thought on this including a statement made by someone from Eagle games but is worth noting IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Curious. I've always figured you had to, because the rulebook explicitly lists the actions you can take, and Pass is not among them.

My reasoning has always been that it's almost impossible to pass in this game without having a valid move, as you can always Build Track for at most one bond.

I suppose if there were no cards on the board, no cards in your hand, you had an 8 engine, you had no cubes left to ship, and every single city had tracks going in all valid directions, it's theoretically possible to be stuck, but I can't imagine that coming even remotely close to ever actually happening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's all about the theme!
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 4: "In every round, each player performs one action..." As previously noted, "pass" is not listed as an action. Pretty clear.

We've had players on the third round with only $2,000 build a partial link rather than take a Bond.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collis Jeppesen
United States
New Windsor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
finnianp wrote:
Turns are so valuable in this game, I don't think I've ever thought about passing. I wonder how it would work if you auctioned your turn to another player? It's a good way to raise funds if you're hurting for them.

Wouldn't that just make somebody a Kingmaker by letting the richest player get two turns in a round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glenn Drover has just confirmed that passing is allowed:
Budley wrote:
Lastly, given that neither Martin nor I intended to make a player use all of their actions, it should be allowed.

So, let's make it official: Passing (not using all of a player's actions) is allowed.

To read his entire post go here: link
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.