Subject: 2 player light games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendations [+] twoplayer [+] [View All]
Nick Wilkins
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Im trying to find a decent game for me and my girlfriend to play and to break up the usual norms.

I bought Lost Cities a while back and she really likes it, we can get into it and it doesnt last too long. The problems I'm finding are that her attention span is fairly short, meaning that long winded complicated games dont interest her and she gets bored easily.

Im looking for something not too heavy, that doesnt take too long. I had a search round here and saw Hive, that seemed to get fairly decent reviews. Would people suggest this .... or does anyone else have any suggestions for me.

Im quite a big BG fan myself, and can handle quite complicated games, but then she isnt so much, and doesnt like anything where she has to think about 15 different options at once. A difficult combo I know

Thanks in advance guys

Nick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontus Nilsson
Sweden
Gothenburg
Bohuslän
flag msg tools
Instagram: Ludocrous
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Nick!

My suggestions are the following:
Battle Line
Colossal Arena
Citadels
Kingdoms

My wife loves Lost Cities and she is very fond of this games too, they are light, doesn´t take much time but very engaging anyway.

Colossal Arena is her favorite at the moment, we have soooo exciting games and we both hate to lose

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Hansson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's some recommendations in the wiki: What to play with your spouse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Luis Rodriguez Mena
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try:

Mystery Rummy (Jack the Ripper, Jekyll & Hyde) - A very good game for 2
Carcassonne

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Odin's Ravens
A lot of gameplay in a short playing time. It has hand management, direct interaction, requires you to plan ahead, and is pretty to look at as well!

Wildlife Safari
Abstract game that I so far haven´t really understood how to play to win, but I am always having a good time. Cheap as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
Slave Lake
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I love MR: Jack the Ripper (my all-time #1), it's a good deal longer and more complicated than Lost Cities.

Battle Line/Schotten Totten is a decent choice, but it's a step up in intensity.

I think your wife would enjoy Balloon Cup. It's very similar to Lost Cities in weight, length, and style of gameplay, but it doesn't feel redundant. Quite an enjoyable game. We weren't too excited with it at first, but we've found that, like Lost Cities, we've come back to play it many times over the years.

Another ultra-light 2p my wife and I enjoy is Bohnanza. Most people 'round here disdain 2p Bohnanza since it's not the rip-roaring trade-fest that 3+-player Bohnanza is. I like it because it's a great 15-minute hand-management game.

Loco is cool, and ("but"?) plays in about 5 minutes.

Odin's Ravens is interesting, but I found the game length to be very variable. Sometimes it would take half an hour, sometimes it was over an hour. This might not work well with a short attention span. I know it was a deterrent for us.

And, as mentioned, there must be literally dozens of "Wife" GeekLists. Search for wife, girlfriend, spouse, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Hey, That's My Fish!. A quick playing abstract that plays well with 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I Now?
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cartagena ?

Just picked this up and only have a few games in, but the wife seems to like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.