Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: survey [+] [View All]
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I've been sporting this green check-mark, so many of you geeks also wear... it's the only geekbadge I feel proud to display, as it's basically a 'Am willing to work for the site's benefit' badge, IMO.

What I'm wondering, though, is:
When are we gonna see the results of the survey?

Surely they've been tabulated by now. If the general opinion is right, and the survey was no more or less than a marketing sample (which would be fine by me...the more dollars the 'geek gets the happier we'll all be (and better informed)), then those numbers aren't just sitting around somewhere. If there's advertising money at stake, they're being used to pitch BGG as a potential place for businesses to tout their wares.

That being said, how hard is it to post this stuff, so we can all see how we compare to our fellow geeks? I'm dying to know who most of us most wanted to talk to. Which was the all-time favorite geek movie? If we all had to choose JUST ONE game, how many people thought Risk 2210 (not my answer) was the way to go?

I'm just askin'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Bohrer
United States
Hereford
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/130313

That surevy was, I believe, done as a commercial venture, in which we all voluntarily participated.

BGG is a business, not a charity; Aldie may not even own the results of that survey to be able to publish them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The thread you link to doesn't answer his question. Nor does his post sound link he's complaining about the survey. He was just wondering if/when we get to see the results. Your reply did not help answer his question at all, but instead berated him for something he wasn't doing.

There was after all an entire section that was titled something to the effect of "Just for fun." That made me think that we were going to get to see the results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Bohrer
United States
Hereford
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't berate anyone.

I pointed out a thread that was already discussing the issue, and listed (in order) an impression I'd gotten (by reading ALL the information on the subject, including the original thread), a fact, and a possibility of why the information hadn't been posted which was based on the previous information. I never asserted an opinion as fact, nor either stated nor implied that the OP was wrong in any respect.

I certainly inferred from the title of the thread that the poster felt hard done by: "Is the check (that is, the compensation that Aldie owes me) in the mail?". After all, the survey badge was to only one that, to him, signified participation in the site, and he expected the payoff of seeing the results of the survey and soon! My own interpretation is the the badge itself was our compensation for participation in a for-profit venture in which Aldie had engaged, which had nothing at all to do with BGG as a community. I could well be wrong about either of these points.

By stating that I did something I did not, you engaged in a personal attack and verged on trolling. For which I am, indeed, berating you, sir.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    I agree I think gbohrer was pretty clean on this one. Aldie may not have possession of the data, may not have digested it yet, or may not be eager to share the results if he has a customer for it on the line.

Although the original question is a fair one. If the data will be available, when? And if not please let us know.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Rebuke" may be too strong of a word, but bottom line, when you said, "BGG is a business, not a charity," there is no other way for me to read it then that you are "putting ZeroZilla in his place," although he clearly states that he is fine with the fact that they may be up for sale. If I'm reading his post right, the reason he brings it up is simply to state that if money is at stake here, then the results probably HAVE been tabulated, so, "can we see them?"

hbohrer wrote:
By stating that I did something I did not, you engaged in a personal attack and verged on trolling. For which I am, indeed, berating you, sir.

Here is a perfect example of why BGG needs a :rolleyes: emoticon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Bohrer
United States
Hereford
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
And if not please let us know.

Sag.

I'd agree with this; there's certainly been enough interest that it'll at least quiet any discontent to explain why the results aren't available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoB3K wrote:
when you said, "BGG is a business, not a charity," there is no other way for me to read it then that you are "putting ZeroZilla in his place,"

Honestly from my take I didn't see that, but I can easily see how you could have, especially if you drop everything after the semi colon. When I encounter the same 'is he being a jerk/am i reading too much into it' question, I defer to the later simply due to how easy it is to get the wrong idea since we can't show facial expressions or body language in this medium.

I've written statements like his that somehow sparked something because I wrote them while in a good mood not realizing how they can be seen if someone were say in a bad mood.

Ultimately though, even if the person is being a jerk, most ppl on here are pretty nice people overall and they have off days now and then. Pointing it out can sometimes make it worse, however there are some users that seem to always be having off days. I won't name names purely because I only seem to remember them when they post. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
Sorry - didn't see this thread. I will get the results out post BGG.CON - they need a lot of massaging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to clarify: the title of the thread was meant to be a pun.blush Funny, see? Check-mark geekbadge=survey. "In the mail"=pending.

Work with me, people.shake

Which brings me to: Thanks for the reply, Aldie. I'm looking forward to it.
Is it wrong that I feel completely thrilled to have elicited a response from The Man himself?

(for the record, any implication that I was being "hard done by" was intended to be tongue-in-cheek. I know who I am to the site, and the BGG community at large... (not that I think everyone hates me. Speaking of which, thanks for the support, Bob3K).)

Also for the record, I take no offense to gbohrer. He didn't get that I was kidding... but that's not a hard mistake to make, as has been stated. Good for him, for defending the site's right to its own information, I say. That just wasn't something that really NEEDED defending. At least not from me.

-ZZ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.