Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Wednesday evening. A long day had been had at work. Boysenberry danish and ice cream had just been consumed. We were all tired. I offered to cut my flatmate's hair (I'm kind like that) because his hair really is a mess. He said no to the hair cut as it was too late. I said 'how about a board game?' He said 'okay, let's play YINSH', I said, it's at Meowsqueak's place'. I said how about I teach you something... he was keen... so away we go...

By now I could have had the clippers out and had his mop half-trimmed. Ah well.

Flatmate is an experienced gamer, but has rarely played any games since the so-called "Wooden Pieces World Champs 2005". You see, in Feb 2005; 8 of us got together to play a variety of games over the course of the day. We all had such a miserable time. From the lots that were drawn I ended up having to learn and play Age of Steam all at once... and this was for the Championship of the World!!! Anyway, some of us have never recovered; I have, unfortunately flatmate hasn't. Anyway, I went away to my collection and came back with Blue Moon and Lost Cities. He was indifferent so I chose the not quite as exciting but more user-friendly option of Lost Cities.

For my first 10 cards drawn, I picked up NO multipliers. Hmmm... not good. Flatmate was happily laying down the multipliers for four (!) different sets.

As the game progressed my card drawing didn't get much better. I was forced to stick with three expeditions. In hindsight I should have played more riskily and gone for the fourth. I thought at the time my low-risk venture would pay off and he would bomb out. However, that never happened. Flatmate ended up on 46, I only got 28. That's what you get. Despite both our tiredness (I could have given him two haircuts by now) he wanted to play another game. It is always good to know (unexpectedly) that someone else's enthusiasm matches (or surpasses) mine. We played again, this time I thought I'd put my foot down, went for four sets, 1 with a single multiplier, two with double multipliers. Near the end of the game I was looking shaky. Then started drawing 8s, 9s and 10s almost at will. This ensured I'd get over that hallowed 20 mark and be in the positive. I ended up winning by nearly 40.

I haven't played Lost Cities for some months. I've probably played close to 40 new games since last playing it. It doesn't have the X-factor that I more and more look for in games, especially fillers. However, it is a very solid, light game that always brings some degree of satisfaction. Each game has that distinct starting, building and closing phase, unlike, say, High Society that can tend to be all over the show. I think I will endeavor to play a little more Lost Cities in the near future, as I said before, it is certainly a 'solid' offering for the two-player filler genre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, it's not the most exciting card game around. However it's difficult to go wrong with Lost Cities. I enjoy it for its simplicity. It's a pure 'hand management' game and I find that elegant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Moss
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Meowsqueak. I just got it and I can see having it for those "we don't have much time for a game" times. Plus you can keep a running total session after session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.