Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Richter
United States
Ruskin
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Imagine you are back in the middle ages. Where the great master builders did their finest work. As I play The Builders: Middle Ages I can hear the sounds of chisels being hammered, saws grinding through wood, tiles being tapped into place, & master workers giving orders to their apprentices.

Such a grand game like this comes in a small tin at a really low price. This is a game that you can keep bringing to the table. One that can be played by the entire family.

Published in 2012 by Asmodee for 2-4 players & generally takes around 30 minutes to play. The builders: Middle Ages is one of those games that will never be played the same way over & over again.

To begin each player is given 5 silver coins & 1 gold coin. Each gold coin is worth 5 silver coins. Then each player is given an apprentice. Once everyone has an apprentice the rest of them will be shuffled into the deck with the other craftsmen. Then taking the craftsmen & the buildings deck you will lay out five cards from each deck onto the center of the table.

First player will be given the first player card so others don't forget who first player is. Now on each players turn they are given the option of three actions. There are a lot of things that you can do.

Actions include: Taking a worker from the table, taking a building from the tool, placing a worker onto a building by paying its cost, or you can skip an action to get money.

On your first turn you want to take a good look at the buildings & workers that are on the table & try to get one that will finish easily. I recommend grabbing a master craftsman as soon as you see one come out even if you only have one last action left. These master craftsmen have the best abilities in the game.

There are four things that you need to finish a building up: carpentry, masonry, architecture, & tilery. Not all workers have these abilities at one time. There are also tools that will be mixed into the building pile. Most of these can be built within one turn, they are worth points, & you can use them as non-paid workers. Tools do cost an action to place though.

An example of a turn would be taking a building, taking a worker, then placing the worker by paying its cost. You also have the option of taking another action. It does, however cost five coins to take another action.

Finishing a building does not cost an action.

When you know that you are going to be in need of coins, then you should skip your turn. Skipping a whole turn is worth six coins. This could make or break how you build.

The first player to 17 points starts the end game. Buildings & tools are worth a certain amount of points. For every ten coins you have at the end of the game is also worth a point. Each player will get an even amount of turns. If it ends on the last players turn the game will end right away, but if the first player ends the game everyone will have at least one turn to hopefully catch up for a tie or to surpass the highest amount of points.

There has been more than a few games where six or seven actions take place on the last turn. Plus we have had many games where the balance of points has been won on coins/

This is an easy game that is great for the whole family. I enjoy playing this game with my group & it does give off the same vibe as Splendor. The Builders: Middle Ages is a game I definitely recommend on purchasing.

I give it a five out of five. Artwork is good, game play is fantastic, & it is a very mobile game.

Game On!

-Christopher Richter
Twitter: @Boardgaming_FTW
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Patterson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have and love Splendor. Would it be redundant to pick this up, or are they different enough that you would want to have both?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Richter
United States
Ruskin
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pick this one up. The theme is completely different. Actually I think this plays faster than Splendor & there is less "analysis paralysis" in playing. At most retailers in runs for around $18 so about half the price of Splendor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.