Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Michels
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I played through the tutorial solo tonight to learn how to play, and it came down to the fact that I completed the final mission during the round in which two (actually 5) of the continents moved into panic.

Under the Win/Loss Conditions section of the rules it says "The players lose the game if two continents fall into panic by advancing into the orange space on the panic track. However, under the Panic section of the rules it says "If two or more continents have fallen into panic when updating the panic levels in the app, the players lose the game." I was not asked to update the panic levels in the app until after resolving the mission. So my question is, did I win or did I lose?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Nowak
msg tools
Given the panic section goes into more detail, I'd assume you'd win, since panic isn't "processed" until you input the panic levels into the app. Still, it seems a little too open to interpretation. Hopefully it'll be clarified in the inevitable FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Raejin99 wrote:
Given the panic section goes into more detail, I'd assume you'd win, since panic isn't "processed" until you input the panic levels into the app. Still, it seems a little too open to interpretation. Hopefully it'll be clarified in the inevitable FAQ.

In this particular case, it seems pretty clear. You answer the questions the app gives you. If it says you win, you win. If it says you lose, you lose.

So if it asks you about the final mission before the panic levels, and your answer leads to a win screen, you win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
Dulkal wrote:
Raejin99 wrote:

In this particular case, it seems pretty clear. You answer the questions the app gives you. If it says you win, you win. If it says you lose, you lose.

So if it asks you about the final mission before the panic levels, and your answer leads to a win screen, you win.

Yep, exactly that. In the case the OP describes, you would have won.

Thematically, I suppose you've defeated the aliens, and now those continents that have fallen into panic, have nothing to panic over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pelvidar wrote:
Thematically, I suppose you've defeated the aliens, and now those continents that have fallen into panic, have nothing to panic over.

Or it simply doesn't matter that you lost funding, because the world is safe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Michels
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking that I won too, but the app never asked whether I finished the final mission. It asked me to update the panic levels first and when I did that it said game over. However, the final mission does have the reward of "You Win" so it would seem like that should happen when the mission was resolved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stormzbowler wrote:
I was thinking that I won too, but the app never asked whether I finished the final mission. It asked me to update the panic levels first and when I did that it said game over. However, the final mission does have the reward of "You Win" so it would seem like that should happen when the mission was resolved.

No. The app asks when it is time to check the win condition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Shilling
United Kingdom
Hove
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just tested the app and it required me to update the Panic level before asking me if I had completed the final mission. When I confirmed two continents in panic it ended the game before asking me if I had completed the final mission and took me to the 'loss' game over screen. So, I would interpret this as a loss.

I guess the question is.....

When does the win condition get tested. If it is immediately on completing the final mission and before the resolution phase then you won. If stepping through the resolution phase is required to test the win conditions then, as per the above, I would say it is a loss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
superdupergeek wrote:
I just tested the app and it required me to update the Panic level before asking me if I had completed the final mission. When I confirmed two continents in panic it ended the game before asking me if I had completed the final mission and took me to the 'loss' game over screen. So, I would interpret this as a loss.

I guess they basically just don't want you to send the whole world to shit in one final push just so you can complete the final mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
superdupergeek wrote:
When does the win condition get tested. If it is immediately on completing the final mission and before the resolution phase then you won. If stepping through the resolution phase is required to test the win conditions then, as per the above, I would say it is a loss.

This sort of question is, in my opinion, settled quite easily when there is an app involved. The game isn't over till the fat lady app sings.

Apparently, that leads to the opposite conclusion than what I thought based on the OP. But my main point still stands: The order in which the app checks the conditions determine the order in which they are checked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Michels
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The other reason for my confusion is that for the normal missions, the app makes it clear that the completion effects (reduce panic, recruit soldiers, etc.) happens immediately during the mission resolution. However, apparently for the final mission where the completion effect is "You win", that doesn't take effect until the app confirms you didn't lose first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Baumann
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You actually preform the final mission after the panic check. The mission attempt the app asks about beforehand is for if you have a normal mission also active.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Michels
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Capashin wrote:
You actually preform the final mission after the panic check. The mission attempt the app asks about beforehand is for if you have a normal mission also active.

Ah, that would make it all make sense then. I could have swore the app mentioned resolving the active mission and the final mission, but I must have misread it. So, ladies and gentlemen, I think we have the answer. I lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raziel Chromatic
Canada
Rimouski
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is indeed a step for the final mission, it is not part of the normal mission step.
And it says you win if you accomplish it.
So the panic levels are checked beforehand, which is really good to know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micah Paroni
United States
California
flag msg tools
Deiflex wrote:
There is indeed a step for the final mission, it is not part of the normal mission step.
And it says you win if you accomplish it.
So the panic levels are checked beforehand, which is really good to know!

Yeah, it goes:

1. Attempt normal mission.
2. If successful, resolve rewards (which could involve reduction of panic levels)
3. Panic check
4. If you pass panic check, attempt final mission.

It's a mercy that the normal mission attempt is available before the panic check, since mission rewards are the only way to reduce the panic level of a country that's fallen into the Orange. Tech cards that reduce panic won't work on that country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dani Evans
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know you seem to have settled on an answer for this, but it still seems super counter-intuitive to me. You get mission rewards immediately after resolving the mission and before global panic levels are adjusted - not at the end of the round. The final mission card lists "You win" as the reward - I think regardless of whether the app asks who how you fared, you get the "You win" reward immediately after succeeding the mission.

I could be entirely mistaken, but it feels to me that the app is not following the rules correctly in this case

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plum wrote:
I know you seem to have settled on an answer for this, but it still seems super counter-intuitive to me. You get mission rewards immediately after resolving the mission and before global panic levels are adjusted - not at the end of the round. The final mission card lists "You win" as the reward - I think regardless of whether the app asks who how you fared, you get the "You win" reward immediately after succeeding the mission.

I could be entirely mistaken, but it feels to me that the app is not following the rules correctly in this case

Like the previous posters wrote, you do not succeed the mission until after the panic levels are checked, because the resolution step happens later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dani Evans
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ohhh ok - I though we took mission rewards immediately upon passing the tasks (as someone else mentioned, a reward to decrease panic is more useful before the panic checks), rather than at the end of the round when checking the mission success. Damn, that converts our narrow win into a crushing loss cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plum wrote:
Ohhh ok - I though we took mission rewards immediately upon passing the tasks (as someone else mentioned, a reward to decrease panic is more useful before the panic checks), rather than at the end of the round when checking the mission success. Damn, that converts our narrow win into a crushing loss cry

Nono, you have it right. Normal missions happen before the panic check, so you can reduce panic before everything goes wrong.

But the FINAL mission is only RESOLVED after the panic check. You simply do not roll the dice for the final mission until after you have done the panic check.

If it sounds confusing, don't worry about that. The app is pretty specific. Simply resolve the mission when it tells you to "Resolve mission", adjust panic when it tells you to "adjust panic" and resolve the final mission when it tells you to "resolve final mission". The only thing you need to remember is that "resolve mission" and "resolve final mission" are two separate steps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dani Evans
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhhh ok that makes sense now! Yes, the only mission we committed troops to was the final mission so when it said Resolve Mission, we assumed it included the final one.

So hypothetically, if one of our uncompleted missions had a -1 panic to Asia (one of our two killer continents), then we needed to commit troops to that AND the final mission. Complete the mission, reduce panic in Asia, pass the global panic check and only then would we have had a chance to complete the final mission and win the game...

Yep, we were crushed! Thanks for your patience in explaining it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Szudy
msg tools
chiller087 wrote:

It's a mercy that the normal mission attempt is available before the panic check, since mission rewards are the only way to reduce the panic level of a country that's fallen into the Orange. Tech cards that reduce panic won't work on that country.

Where do you get that from? I don't recall seeing that rule anywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
szuderac wrote:
chiller087 wrote:

Where do you get that from? I don't recall seeing that rule anywhere.

Rules -> Panic: "When a continent reaches the orange space, it has fallen into panic. its panic level cannot be increased, and its panic level can ONLY be reduced by mission effects (not tech)."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
commuter zombie
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had this exact problem at the end of our tutorial game. We missed the fact that you could have a final mission and a regular mission on the board at the same time (and just assumed that that final mission replaced the regular mission).

We completed the Final Mission before panic levels were adjusted (we did it during the 'Complete Mission step' and then I was surprised when I hit 'next' in the app and had to adjust panic levels. As the penny dropped I fudged the panic so we wouldn't lose and saw that the next step was to attempt the final mission. D'oh! We were pretty downhearted to find that our amazing escape from defeat didn't actually happen. Still we all want to play again and see if we can cross the finish line this time. Knowing that we can do a regular mission and a final mission in the same turn (living troop numbers/budget permitting!) helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
In this game, there's a difference between a "mission" and the "final mission".

If something mentions "the mission", it does not affect the "final mission" unless it's specified.

In the resolution phase, the mission is done first, then the panic levels, then the final mission.

The app has a "You win" or "You lose" screen. In every game, you will see one or the other, making it clear if you won or lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Szudy
msg tools
Dulkal wrote:

Rules -> Panic: "When a continent reaches the orange space, it has fallen into panic. its panic level cannot be increased, and its panic level can ONLY be reduced by mission effects (not tech)."

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.