Hide
5 Posts

Nothing Personal» Forums » General

Subject: Make a Move Strategy strategy confusion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Hixson
msg tools
I'm confused with how powerful "making a move" is and I want to clarify that we are playing correctly.

Specifically, if I control the 3rd guy, Can I make a move on the 2nd guy?

By the rules, it states that I can make a move on any adjacent position. In the games I've played so far, the 3rd Guy has made a move on the 2nd guy every time and takes a +8 point swing (+4 for success and -4 to the owner of the 2nd guy). This seems way too powerful.

It is all based on respect points on the gangster card, but typically, the 3rd guy has 1 or 2 respect and already has all the respect needed to take over the 2nd guy position. He just has to not roll the knife (83% chance) and he gains 8 points on his opponent. This is more powerful than controlling the capo.

I just want to clarify, because it seems unfair. If it is correct, why shouldn't I try to control the 3rd Guy every time and take my easy 8 points by making a move on the 2nd guy every round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are playing it correctly. It is slightly less powerful than a true 8 points because you are only subtracting the four respect from one opponent rather than all.

I would imagine that if you got any type of metagame going in your playgroup that this strategy would find some counters after the first or second time. Maybe a few opponents would compete for the 3rd guy as well, and that fight for control is all it really takes to neutralize your advantage. You and one or maybe two competitive opponents waste more resources going for the third guy, which in turn creates a prime chance for one or more other opponents to own several higher level mobsters on the cheap.

That's the strength of negotiating games - they self balance when played by experienced gamers.

The second guy can also defend by forcing you to reroll that die and hope for a knife. Long-shot, but it is an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Hixson
msg tools
To me this ruins the play of the game for these reasons:

1) the 3rd guy is the most powerful spot on the board. With a +1 respect +4 (83% chance) making a move (and -4 to an opponent) = at least a +5 respect every time and add in your gangster respect

2) no real choice during the select action phase. With 83% chance of successfully making a move against 2nd guy, why try 66% chance and $10 cost to whack someone. It is pretty much automatic that you are going to make a move against the 2nd guy

3) 2nd Guy position is worthless. No one should want control of the 2nd guy position because it is almost a guaranteed -4 respect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How will you continue to make sure you control the 3rd guy when you are low on money and "anted" out of the influence round? I think you'd find it harder than you think to re-control whoever is in that spot each round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And don't forget that next round you probably will be in control of the 2nd Guy so you'll be target then :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.