Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: BattleLore [+] [View All]
Miguel de la Casa
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in an (as educated as possible) guess on how many minis of each type will come with the game. Based on the widely available info (the Primer, the blog and some pictures) this is the most I've managed to find out.

The Primer shows 5 cavalries (3 figures each) and 6 archers (four figures each) in the same scenario as well as 16 infantries (4 figures each) together in a different one. So the total number of human figures is, at least:

5 x 3 cavalries
16 x 4 infantries
6 x 4 archers
------
103 total

I would expect a bit more, something like 8, 16, 8 -> 120 total (a whole army in Memoir'44 has 72 minis). This way one could field two entirely humans armies against each other (specially nice for historical scenarios).

There are at least 3x4 dwarven infantry and 1x4 dwarven crossbowmen (16 total). Certainly there'll be some/many more. I hope not many more.

From what I know the number of goblins is completely uncertain, in the 20-100 range total minis. It'd be really great to have enough minis to field a whole goblin army (I care much less about a whole dwarven army) so that two basic conifgurations could be two human armies field against each other or humans vs. goblins. It'd be nice something like this for the goblins:

4 x 3 cavalries
10 x 4 infantries
5 x 4 archers
------
72 total (like a M'44 army, leaving some 20-30 dwarven minis)

Does anybody have more info? And most important, is there a spider included in the game? Some pictures suggest this is the case, but I'd expect that DoW would make a huge advertising about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Ruf
Germany
Schönaich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The primer talks about "over 210" minis (p. 8). In marketing-speak that's 211, or maybe 212 if they are generous There are 13 different sculpts and the spider is included with the base game (see e.g. the box contents on p. 11).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel de la Casa
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, DoW promises "more than 210", I just hope it means more than 211

You are right, the Spider appears in the "Inside the Box" page of the Primer so you are right, that should mean the Spider is included...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Granvold
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a couple of pictures from the Essen Game Fair of Battlelore posted by Board Game News.

This one shows the Spider, and the ones on the left appear to be riding some kind of beast, could they be Orc calvery?

Enjoy,
tomg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Barringer
United States
Rushford
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe those have been called goblin lizard riders in another post...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
The Battlelore Primer says they are Hobgoblin Cavalry.

If you check out the other picture from that site, you can get a really good look at the banner bearers that are packaged in the game. You should be able to work out what the miniatures are based on the number of banner bearers of each type, the number of sculpts and the number of units altogether.

I'm too lazy right now, might do it later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Massey
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like you can get a head count off the numbers on the
figure-picture page(?)
216 appx.
+1 spider
-----
217 total ?

http://www.boardgame.de/specials/messe/essen06/essen06.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That page refers to the 58 banner bearers, but by doing the math it does indeed appear that it will be 217 units. Interesting that it's not quite an even distribution between the sides (in terms of the banners)...

12 Human Heavy Calvary
18 Human Standard Calvary
16 Human Heavy Infantry
72 Human Standard Infantry
16 Human Light Infantry
32 Human Light Archers

4 Goblin Light Archers
8 Goblin Light Infantry
8 Goblin Standard Infantry
4 Hobgoblin Heavy Infantry
6 Hobgoblin Light Calvary

4 Dwarven Light Crossbowmen
12 Dwarven Standard Infantry
4 Dwarven Heavy Infantry

1 Spider

Some interesting things from this (and the primer)... There are no "Light" Dwarven troops and the Dwarfs are the only Crossbow-using units, while the only Goblin Calvary is the Light Calvary. Both fit with the Dwarves naturlly being bold and the Goblins being naturally frightened.

The sides seem to be split down the middle as far as Human Melee troops are concerned... However, the "Lion" side has 2 more units of Human Archers and all the Goblins while the "Fleur-de-Lis" side as all of the Dwarven units.

However, for those who want an army of all Goblins or all Dwarves... you won't even be close, especially compared to the amount of Humans per side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
shadowTerp wrote:
However, for those who want an army of all Goblins or all Dwarves... you won't even be close, especially compared to the amount of Humans per side.

According to Mark Kaufman (DoW) at the BattleLore demo in Oakland, CA yesterday....

The first few scenarios are "historical" in that they are based on the 100 years battles. The addition of mercenary troops (dwarves & goblins), magic (aka lore), and creatures are in the later scenarios.

Based on this, I expect the full-fledged fantasy armies to come via expansion packs to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.