Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game» Forums » News

Subject: Dead Of Winter, tinned spaghetti and a dead cat. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stuart
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is bizarre.

There's an unfortunate thread on Ebay about a seller who sold a shrink-wrapped copy of Dead Of Winter to a new buyer. The buyer then claimed that he had been sent tins of spaghetti instead and opened up a PayPal dispute to get a refund. The seller guessed the buyer had switched the contents to keep the game and get a refund and was expecting a tracked parcel of tinned spaghetti to turn up. But when it arrived he opened the box and instead there was a dead cat inside.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hill
United Kingdom
Fareham
HAMPSHIRE
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I havent played the game, but is this story in keeping with the theme?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hjelmberg
Sweden
Saltsjö-Boo
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This story feels very much aligned to the theme of the game.

I will actually pick up the game at the post office shortly. Should I be prepared for the worst?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow.

A good thing I don't use ebay.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hill
United Kingdom
Fareham
HAMPSHIRE
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheNameWasTaken wrote:
Wow.

A good thing I don't use ebay.


I always liked the idea of ebay, but now it seems to primarily be a marketplace for established businesses selling products opposed to individuals having a carboot sale
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
i didn't get a dead cat in my copy crycry Wonder if it was a preorder exclusive
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xenothon Stelnicki
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
eBay was awesome when it was essentially a black market, prior to and including the early days of PayPal. Now it mostly sucks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pawnvsdice wrote:
This is bizarre.


I think you misspelled "fake".

I have an incredibly hard time believing that any of this actually happened.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
eviljelloman wrote:
pawnvsdice wrote:
This is bizarre.


I think you misspelled "fake".

I have an incredibly hard time believing that any of this actually happened.


You think the seller created a fake account to neg his selling account and jeopardize his selling on Ebay or that it happened to the point of him having tinned spaghetti returned to him and he was so angry at being scammed that the dead cat was fiction in the hope of it positively affecting an Ebay appeal?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Schmitz
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a Sparky the Wonder Dog in my Dead of Winter box. I definitely prefer Sparky because I don't think a dead cat would have quite the success in completing a search or killing a zombie.

But wait... do I smell DoW: The Dead Cat Expansion!??? wowwowwow

No seriously, it smells like a dead cat...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


The culprit (if I can correctly link it. The link, in case the pic doesn't work: http://xkcd.com/325/
3 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pawnvsdice wrote:
eviljelloman wrote:
pawnvsdice wrote:
This is bizarre.


I think you misspelled "fake".

I have an incredibly hard time believing that any of this actually happened.


You think the seller created a fake account to neg his selling account and jeopardize his selling on Ebay or that it happened to the point of him having tinned spaghetti returned to him and he was so angry at being scammed that the dead cat was fiction in the hope of it positively affecting an Ebay appeal?


I won't claim to have insight into the exact series of events and motivations which lead to these absurd fabrications being created, but I certainly believe they are fabrications.

Whether the buyer is a real person or not is actually pretty up in the air at this point, in my opinion, but the rest of it absolutely smells like BS.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hernandez
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The story is bizarre maybe even faked (in part or in whole) but I've heard of weirder things occurring with eBay.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristoff Bergenholm
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was willing to believe the story until the dead cat arrived...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I can vouch that transactions like this happen on ebay. My brother in law and I had a business re-selling video games on ebay. At one point we had ordered about 15,000 dollars in video games from a seller, and recieved several laptop cases stuffed with rocks, and a wrapped in a bunch of old clothes.

The seller disappeared, Local police were no help.

This is a sad story to see someone do this in our community.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jgilmour wrote:
I can vouch that transactions like this happen on ebay. My brother in law and I had a business re-selling video games on ebay. At one point we had ordered about 15,000 dollars in video games from a seller, and recieved several laptop cases stuffed with rocks, and a wrapped in a bunch of old clothes.

The seller disappeared, Local police were no help.

This is a sad story to see someone do this in our community.


Oh, I believe the part about somebody shipping an empty box full of junk just to make it heavy has happened many times.

It's the "he taunted me with messages about getting a special package and it had a dead cat" part that I don't buy. That's the part that makes me think the entire story is fabricated - there's a certain pattern these things go through, where the absurdity keeps escalating as the person keeps trying to one-up his previous story.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Burns
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Where would you guys recommend selling a copy? I preordered one (which hasn't shipped), and was lucky enough to find another in stock, so I ordered that one. I was going to cancel my preorder, but the wife convinced me to just sell it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mattburnsey wrote:
Where would you guys recommend selling a copy? I preordered one (which hasn't shipped), and was lucky enough to find another in stock, so I ordered that one. I was going to cancel my preorder, but the wife convinced me to just sell it.


I'll swap it for a dead cat.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Are you standin' yet?
badge
Artwork: My Daughter
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Was the cat dead before the box was opened?

Perhaps it was both dead and alive at the same time?

Did we check the box for poison?

Thumbs Up: Open the box to check the state of the cat.

OR

Thumbs Down: Keep the box closed and regift it to your brother-in-law after crossing the title out with a Sharpie and writing "Catan" in its place.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.