Chris Bogert
Japan
Amagasaki
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
http://chrisbogert.wixsite.com/chaturanga-family
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a PnP set of the Highlands deck and have gotten a few plays in the last week or so. I like the game quite a bit and will write a review soon I think, but first I will write a session report of my last game.

*My personal PnP has a few changes I did myself. The card-backs all have the image of the Last Minstrel on them. I also created standees for all of the heroes in the first two decks, a few of which you will see in the photos.

The Journey Begins

(I will attempt to write it all in Haiku 5-7-5)

The crumbling tower
Strumming the broken string lute
Last minstrel walks forth

The broken compass
Blindly guides the companions
Through the bleak cold rain

To the fated forest
In desperation they go
Singing songs of spells

By the end of the Deck 1 play (next deck 2: the forest) I managed to get two heroes, one of which was a Folk card through the ability of another folk card became a hero (cool) and the other the lost Pixie.
I was really trying the get the lost Paladin... but couldn't quite get him into play before entering the forest. (He is cool looking)
I did get a few cool items attached and I hope I'm well prepared for the next part...

Gotta say I'm loving this game. I've had it out on the table all week and been slowly playing through several times on the first deck. I have quite a few things I would like to try and do in the first deck that I didn't quite get to do. Like getting that special location out that is on one of the story cards, or using the other heroes, or getting some of those combos out or using more of the high cost items...
Lots to do for many game plays to come.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
♫ As the masters rot on walls ♫ And the angels eat their grapes ♫ I watched Picasso Visit The Planet Of The Apes ♫
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisbogert wrote:
Gotta say I'm loving this game. I've had it out on the table all week and been slowly playing through several times on the first deck.
Thanks for sharing your experience with the game, Chris.
Is Spell Saga comparable to any other solitaire game you've played?
Onirim has a 'quiet' appeal. Spell Saga appears to have a poetic nature that, though the cards are text-heavy, may have a meditative feel to it?
Is your player token double-sided with a healthy and wounded side?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bogert
Japan
Amagasaki
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That player token is actual the one from the PnP set. I didn't make that one, it is just one sided, with the other side showing the web-address. I made the lost pixie one and about 4 others (lost paladin, wizard (deck 2) fox (deck 2) witch (deck 2), the backs sides on those have the heroes name and the same background texture.

Hmm... well it is quite different from any other solo game I've played I think...

It is really quite simple to play, but at the same time very complex... if that makes sense.
The rules are simple, draw a card to the source or your hand, then draw a card to the action pile and it is either interacted with or if the story pile is not big enough, ignored.
But
Then that is where all the card-text comes into play. All the cards will effect game-play slightly differently, some a little, some quite a bit more.
Also knowing where the cards are in the deck can be quite important.

I like the world that it reveals. It tells a story, but in a very loose way. The story is created by what you do in the game, meeting folk, joining with other heroes, defeating monsters and visiting a variety of places. The card text really fills in the setting, giving snippets of what the world is like. At the same time there is an overlaying story which drives the goal of each deck. For the first deck that means finding the broken compass and reaching the forest.

Hope that helps somewhat..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Michael Rogers
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Tears in my eyes, truly touched. If I could turn this post into a poster, I would frame it above my desk.

I look very forward to more descriptions and pictures!

-mE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toddmichaelr wrote:
If I could turn this post into a poster, I would frame it above my desk.

Deck 2 campaign stretch goal . . .

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bogert
Japan
Amagasaki
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hehe Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.