13 Posts

Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: use of monster tokens rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ran
msg tools
mbmb
Hey, I don't have Ravenloft, but wanted to know- how are the monster tokens used?
Upon each new tile revealed, you see the number of monsters spawned..
Are they all controlled by the player who revealed them, or do you hand one out to each of the players, like in Ashardalon's chambers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they were technically only used for 1 or two missions.

At the time of RL, I don't think they had rules for spreading the monsters out like in WoA. So when you drew 3, it was really bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I give them the person that spawned them..
be nice to there other options/opionions though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arto Hietanen
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According the rules the person who drew the token gets them all. But it could be a nice house rule that the active player takes the first, the player on his left the second monster (if any) and so on.

I might need to try that, as I use the tokens in all my games I have managed to spawn 10 monsters at once in a game of WoA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ran
msg tools
mbmb
Okay. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Commander Crud
msg tools
mbmbmb
Given how turn order works, spreading them out to other players can make the game harder. The player that revealed them should get them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arto Hietanen
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, with duplicate monsters it might get harder. I think that with this variant it would be better to check for a duplicate monster both for the active hero and the hero that receives the monster. But not to confuse anyone, this is not the actual rule, I am just musing how the Variant could work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhys Corlett
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
I brought this without thinking it through
badge
I don't have to explain my art to you
mbmbmbmbmb
We use them almost every game. There are a few things you should know:
- The tokens range from 0 to 4
- There is a single 4
- There are only a few 0s
- There are not many 3s
- There are lots of 1s and 2s
- There are tokens for each of the villains (whichever games you do have, you'll notice tokens for each boss)

It's going to make the game a lot harder (MUCH harder if you have villains in there). We compensate by watering down the encounter deck... We took all the non-item treasures and mixed them in with the encounter deck (we use card-covers, so they mix perfectly).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arto Hietanen
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The four monster token is included in the LoD game and is not part of the original CR set. If you do not use the four monster token and the villain tokens, the expected number of monsters encountered per tile is just slightly over 1.

I think that using tokens makes the game a bit more swingy (sometimes you meet more monsters, sometimes less), but on the other hand I think that on average it plays pretty well. Using the monster tokens automatically makes monster "clusters" when you draw multiple monsters. Those are easily dispatched with an area of effect (AoE) attack, so if you have those kinds of attacks available, I think that it at least counters the effect of having an average of over 1 monster / tile.

Personally I prefer the fact that those tokens add uncertainty, add safe turns (tile with 0 monsters and a white arrow, phew!) and also add to the importance of having different kinds of heroes, AoE attacks for dealing with monster groups and heavy hitters for tougher solo monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orlando Neto
Brazil
Rio das Ostras
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the tokens for campaign. As Rhys told, I use monster token instead of drawing many enconters. I don't use the "if don't explore draw an encounter" rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhys Corlett
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've tried a rule where all the villain tokens are in there, but drawing one means drawing a 4xp Dungeon Command monster from a separate deck. All the fun of being ambushed by a mini-boss, no getting annoyed by sudden red dragon attack.
A bit sad not having random 4xp monsters in the 'main' deck, but it stops too much craziness happening when two or more 4xp monsters are dawn at once.

Sometimes we also assume that 0=4 for monster placement.
But then again, we want less encounters and more fighting, so that works for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tel Prydain wrote:
But then again, we want less encounters and more fighting, so that works for us.

I like those changes. Sometimes some of the more theme-y encounters are cool, but some of them are just ways of taking hit points away that you just can't do anything about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhys Corlett
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EverywhereGames wrote:
Tel Prydain wrote:

I like those changes. Sometimes some of the more theme-y encounters are cool, but some of them are just ways of taking hit points away that you just can't do anything about.

Yeah - it's the random attrition that we try to avoid. I've said previously that Ravelofts mean encounters are fine... because you're defying a god-like power in his own home. The other games feel cheap when that happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.