Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: tanga [+] [View All]
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night, I signed onto Tanga to do the daily puzzle and while waiting for my wife to get to the computer, I read about the daily sale.

"Hmmm," said I, "Our AF/FM alarm clock radio on the bedside table hasn't worked well for years (which is OK for a $9.99 purchase). Maybe I should look into this $60 thingie they're advertising."

Boy, that was a close call. I almost fell for it. I was almost a lemming, thinking I needed to purchase something I didn't need. Worse yet, and this is the really bad part, this doo-dad they were advertising is something I don't even understand. It appears to be a radio with an alarm (but no clock face) that happens to also play some sort of digital music (something I've never experienced).

But then I start reading the specs and it reads like a computer program. CD-ROM? There's no place to play a CD-ROM on that thing. Memory? Hell, it's a clock (not!) radio! Computer peripheral requirements? I was lost. Totally lost, I say. I guess from all that that this thingamagig connects somehow to your computer (at which point I'm outa here) and you can somehow download music that you've somehow collected from some other doohickey.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that this was a close one. I almost purchased something I didn't need and didn't even understand. The power of Tanga. Reminds me of all those roadside signs you used to see that made you want to pull over and have a shave, a Burmashave.

Signs on the Internet Highway:

1) You need something cheep
2) It won't be here long
3) Buy it quick, Boy
4) You can't go wrong
5) Tanga Com!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it's sold out, still.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Glenn
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Randy, I can't figure out what you can't figure out regarding listening to podcasts. You know enough about computers to post a message to BGG. Does your computer come with some sort of media player? Just to listen online is easy -- just point and click. Downloading and transferring to a device is only slightly more involved. Of course you have to be willing to shell out the money for said device.

The next time I visit I'll give you a tour of the wonderful world of digital audio.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
It may simply be that they're realizing they need more stock...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
It appears to be a radio with an alarm (but no clock face) that happens to also play some sort of digital music (something I've never experienced).

But then I start reading the specs and it reads like a computer program. CD-ROM? There's no place to play a CD-ROM on that thing. Memory? Hell, it's a clock (not!) radio! Computer peripheral requirements? I was lost. Totally lost, I say. I guess from all that that this thingamagig connects somehow to your computer (at which point I'm outa here) and you can somehow download music that you've somehow collected from some other doohickey.

Wow. You do realize that, you being an internet message board user and online-mass-retail-outlet subscriber who has never experienced digital music, you're a tiny, tiny minority, right? It's not like Tanga is trying to sell MP3 players predominantly to people who have no idea what an MP3 player is but will throw their money at it anyway to replace their bedside alarm clock with the half-number flaps that come clacking down once a minute as if by magic. These days, the vast majority of internet-savvy users know what MP3s are and how they work. Why MP3 devices need memory and why people care how much memory they have. How to rip a CD you own (those shiny discs that make music happen) into digital audio files.

I'd guess a *lot* more Tanga subscribers have listened to digital music, than have even HEARD of Alhambra. There's a lot to be said about the 'lemming mentality', of course - but your post seems to spend a lot more effort on your lack of expertise in digital music, than anything about the lemming mentality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
It may simply be that they're realizing they need more stock...

That is a very reasonable and logical reason, but my (educated(less?)) guess is that it is simply a less interesting deal on a less interesting product than the last two days were.

Regardless, I am ever more interested to see the new product each day, just to see where their target demographic comes to rest at. So far, all three days have been different. At first glance the MP3 player may look alot like the same group as the XBox, but I think it fits a little better in the "things that are kind of useful, but kind of gimicky that are mostly sold through the mail-order magazines your mom gets 5 of in the mail every week" group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Weinfurther
United States
West Bloomfield
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know digital music, but I have no idea how the clock radio works or how it sounds. Do you transfer music by USB? Do you copy it to the device, or does the device read the music live from whatever media it accepts? It's not clear. And if it's just another tinny-sounding box with a fancy look, I'm not interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Carlson
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You said lemming. I love those guys (nature's retards). If it weren't for those silly bastards, I don't know what I'd do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoB3K wrote:
my (educated(less?)) guess is that it is simply a less interesting deal on a less interesting product than the last two days were.

I agree -- at $60 it doesn't even sound like a good deal, much less an impulse buy.

A clock with no clock...heh. And as for mp3 files, yes I've heard them, but I have no interest in investing in them. Those shiny round things still work fine for me, not that I listen to much music in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Does nobody use a search engine anymore? Go to a site like amazon.com for consumer reviews (and to see a 'typical' online-retail price)? Go to the manufacturer's site for more details and specifications?

This device has an LCD screen. It's safe to say that's where the 'clock' appears when it's in clock mode.

Reviews on Amazon are mixed (as they usually are). Concensus seems to be good sound, lousy interface.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff W
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Randy. I couldn't figure out why you'd want the device. My idea of a clock radio is next to the bed, plugged in, difficult to move. But from the description (or lack of it), it looked like you need to hook it up directly to a computer. It doesn't make sense. I didn't pursue it any further.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
You'd hook it up to a computer once to copy a few dozen songs from your computer to the ShoqBox. Then you'd move it to your bedside and never move it again until/unless you wanted to change the selection of loaded music (at which point you'd bring it back to the PC, transfer some files, and bring it back to your bedside).

This is reminiscent of people's objections to Digital Cameras a few years ago. "I don't want a camera I have to have wired to my PC at all times!".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
This now makes three threads about Tanga posted under "Gaming Related" that show up on the front page...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave wrote:
This now makes three threads about Tanga posted under "Gaming Related" that show up on the front page...

I'm okay with that.
Is it souring your cheerios?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lopez
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Get off my lawn!
badge
The explanation: Impossible Triangle + TW (my company initials) = my logo.
mbmbmbmbmb
hughthehand wrote:
You said lemming. I love those guys (nature's retards). If it weren't for those silly bastards, I don't know what I'd do.

You are aware that the suicidal tendencies were fabricated for a documentry?

http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/lemmings.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Bagherra wrote:
I'm okay with that.
Is it souring your cheerios?

Yes, hence the frownie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure everything you're all saying (particularly Mark and Snoop) is completely correct and that I'm a total Luddite/Old Fart, but I'm just like Randy: a frequent Internet user/poster who has never had any experience or interaction with digital music. Nor have I ever listened to a podcast (although the latter is mostly because I'd never find the time to do it). None of this bothers me in the least, although it does make me hesitate a nanosecond when I laugh at my relatives who still have the flashing 12:00's on their VCR's (yes, there are still people in this world with VCR's). I'm sure Tanga's product was a very good one at a nice price and the folks who bought it are probably thrilled with their purchase. But just like Randy, I really wasn't too sure what it was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
b brewer
msg tools
Randy, Ken, Jeff and Larry this is truly moronic. I rarely post to forums, but an MP3 player is quite simple. How on arth could this confuse you? Because it has a buitl in clock feature? One has to be familiar with a thumb drive at the very least, right? You could store files from the office to be worked on at home, does that make it better? And it has an FM radio? Do you ever walk anywhere? The alarm doesn't need to be just to wake your unmotivated soul from sleep, it could tell you about your conference call with a customer. Looking at the "specs" tab it says USB 1.1...hmm, I wonder how to transfer files or music?

I need to get some air and take a walk...I'll listen to today's MarketPlace podcast that is now on my phone...I wonder how it got there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
Assuming you guys have speakers attached to you computer, download and install iTunes. Nothing could be easier.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Another new user claiming that a conversation is 'moronic'... BGG must be getting popular.

There are all kinds of reasons why today's MP3 player/ Boombox/ Alarm clock can confuse people. This is not a portable, iPod/Zen like MP3 player: it seems to have speakers, and is designed so that it lies on its wide side like an alarm clock. At the same time, the pictures don't make it look like a good alarm clock: its display seems small and the typical snooze button is nowhere to be seen.

Add to that a description that is nothing but bizarre, and I see how even sofware engineers could be confused by the product's presentation and features. It's some kind of frankenstein monster: A music player that isn't big or has enough features to be a stereo component while it isn't portable enough to carry easily in most pockets.

I think a good description would have made the item sell better, but it just isn't as appealing a product as a cheap, quality boardgame, or a videogame console that is 25% off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh, correct me if I'm wrong.........oh, wait, no reason to preface any statement with that here......

I believe that Randy's point was that he almost bought something he didn't need simply because it was on sale at Tanga. I don't think he was saying it was a stupid item to sell.

sheesh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Jatoha wrote:
Uh, correct me if I'm wrong.........oh, wait, no reason to preface any statement with that here......

I believe that Randy's point was that he almost bought something he didn't need simply because it was on sale at Tanga. I don't think he was saying it was a stupid item to sell.

sheesh.

Yep, Jess has it right. I was just pointing out the by-product of visiting a site that is designed to sell you something you didn't even know about before. And I was mentioning just how strange it was for someone who didn't know what it was to think about purchasing it. Sort of like me saying "Jee, Tanga's selling that Bee Meter from the puzzle contest, I need one of those."

As to the turd new user who comes in, doesn't understand the tone or the message, and starts calling folks morons, it seems he's a bit of a surface-level thinker. Probably spent too much time playing with thumb thingies and video controls and little time understanding how to communicate with other people (that's the things that tinker with technology). Believe it or not, noob (that's how those whipperstappers write it, right?), there are plenty of people who really don't fall into the silly fast-paced, "gotta have my meetings programmed into my watch and view my grocery store parking lot and daycare center playroom via Webcam", digital world. There's a whole movement towards simplification of everyday life, y'know.

And, no, I haven't done the MP3 thing. I don't do that thumb drive thing (was that on the feature list of the clock/radio?). I don't own a CD player or a DVD player. My VCR (back when I used it in the 1990s) was just fine. I may be extreme (though I don't really think so), but I'm not alone.

Randy, the Luddite. B.S. Computer Science, Clemson University, 1982

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david funch
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Here's why you would want this:

It's got a rechargeable battery and 512MB of internal memory. It's small and has great speakers for it's size. It's designed for the office and for travel. Using this as an alarm clock is just silly, or even using it anywhere in your house. Heck, the thing comes with a travel case.

512 isn't a whole lot but you can still load up a decent amount of songs and keep it at work until you're sick of em, take it home and put different songs on.

Fortunatly for me I can keep a bunch of CDs at work. Also, I don't really do alot of camping but if I did I would definitly get this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bbrewer wrote:
Randy, Ken, Jeff and Larry this is truly moronic. I rarely post to forums, but an MP3 player is quite simple. How on arth could this confuse you?

Hmmm... maybe because they called it a clock radio. I guess it's a communication problem.

Quote:
One has to be familiar with a thumb drive at the very least, right?

I've seen a "jump drive". Is that the same thing? Pretty cool little gizmo. Reminds me of a pet rock.

Quote:
You could store files from the office to be worked on at home, does that make it better?

Couldn't I just email them to myself? Or use one of those shiny round things? Or, god forbid, a floppy. surprise

Now if the clock radio had a floppy drive, I'd be all over it.

Quote:
Looking at the "specs" tab it says USB 1.1...hmm, I wonder how to transfer files or music?

Gah! Acronyms! eyes... glazing... over....

By the way, regarding the VCR vs. DVD debate: I greatly prefer my VCR over the 2 DVD players I have owned. A DVD (usually) doesn't let you fast forward through the crap at the beginning. It doesn't hold it's position like a tape does if you remove it from the player (which you do frequently if you have kids). They "freeze" or have other glitches far more frequently than any VCR I have ever owned since the 70's (when my ties were in style). And the visual quality is really not that big of a deal. Yes, the quality is better, but not enough to justify the hassle. It's like the CD/vinyl revolution of the 1980s (when my new ties were in style) -- everybody said CDs sound soooo much better than vinyl. Come on... it's a little better, yes, fine. But it was mostly just a scam by the music industry to make your collection obsolete.

I like technology -- tech advancements usually make for interesting reading. But the downside of it is that companies try to market it as being better than the old, when it is really just "different" from the old, and in some cases not as good. Then there's this lemming-like tendency that compels people to buy a new gadget because everybody else has one. People respond to advertising -- my old stuff is not good... must have new stuff... must buy.... must validate self-image.... must have same opinion as everyone else....

Personally, I didn't even have a cell phone until about a year ago. Did I miss it? No! I just don't need or want to talk to people all the damn time. Even now, I don't give out the number. The only person who has it is my wife. Luddite? Whatever... I prefer "ornery cuss", but use whatever term you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
b brewer
msg tools
Nice....ad hoc attacks on the "noob". Where to begin? Luddite's use computers and cell phones? This is the exact mentality I was trying to point out. The only reason to have "held out" on the cell phone thing, was because of fear of becoming "that guy" (which happend anyway). It is the same mentality that leads people to make comments like,"I just don't need or want to talk to people all the damn time." As if one has to answer or use the phone, just because they own it. Even if Apple (and the others) don't mention it, one can store many file types on these devices (just like a hard drive). It is not easy (or nearly as practicle) to send a 100-200MB file via email. I prefer to carry a small device (< pack of gum) between office and home, not CDs (or "shiny round things" if you prefer) that scratch (come on, floppy disk drives are almost non-existent).

The device was NEVER called a "clock radio", it just said it had a built-in alarm (confusing?).

If acronyms are scarry and/or bore you, what can be made of the use of "VCR" and "DVD" in the very next sentence? I guess these are mainstream (read:comfortable), and therefore ok.

I don't own an MP3 player (except in my 2.5 yr-old phone), VCR or DVD player (except in my PC), and I dont own a TV. I understand the "lemming-like tendency", but don't possess it; and much of the rant(s) tend to focuss on the device and its' "uselessness" (as Mark pointed out).

Either you are part of the digital age or not, but I would argue that if you are on this site, you are part of it. Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean you have to criticize it or claim there is a conspiracy to get you to buy unecessary items.

For those of us that like to get out of the house or office, where there is no power supply, VCR, CD/DVD, 8-track, or record player, these devices allow for portable entertainment (plain and simple). For those that prefer to stay inside in front of their PCs and talk smack on technology, I realize these devices serve little to no purpose.

Tanga puzzles are nice, ignore the products.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.