Popular Tags: flgs [+] virginia [+] [View All]
Steven Dennis
United States
Covington
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be traveling on business to the DC area at the beginning of November. I'm going to be staying in Old Town Alexandria and was wondering if there were any good game stores nearby. I'll have a rental car but won't have enough free time (or the desire) to drive into DC proper.

Steven

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Shepherd
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.
mbmbmbmbmb
The good news is: there are no FLGSs in DC, so you don't have to drive there. The bad news is: the two closest ones are about as far a drive (or further) than DC.

You have the Compleat Strategist in Falls Church (about six or eight miles from Old Town) straight down Leesburg Pike, or The Game Parlor in Chantilly and Woodbridge (about 30 and 20 miles from Old Town respectively). I highly recommend The Game Parlor, and I'd say if you happen to be near the Compleat Strategist, drop in, but don't go out of your way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hackel
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lucky Frog in Annandale has boardgaming nights once a week, and a decent selection of games.

Eagle & Empire is a wargame-specific shop on Hwy 1 near Mt. Vernon. Active player community but mostly minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Heaton
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eagle & Empire is also moving to a new location sometime this month. It isn't too far away, but it is off the main drag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Birzer
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cerulean wrote:
The Lucky Frog in Annandale has boardgaming nights once a week, and a decent selection of games.

It is also a hole in the wall, and may be hard to find if you aren't looking carefully, since it is a little off the road.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j t p
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
While not too local, the compleat srategist on Rt 7 in Falls Church is a good stop with eager and friendly staff.
http://www.thecompleatstrategist.com/

Or if you have more time or an inkling to drive, Dreamwizards in Rockville, MD is a large store with plenty of room to breath, great stock and events almost always happening (from ccg tournies to casual games of Arkham horror or Catan).
http://www.dreamwizards.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheLongshot wrote:
cerulean wrote:

It is also a hole in the wall, and may be hard to find if you aren't looking carefully, since it is a little off the road.

It is in a shed in a parking lot right next to a Ribster's restaurant, on the south side of rte 236 (which is named Little River Turnpike in Annandale, Duke Street in Alexandria). It's right in the middle of "downtown" Annandale (which is not an incorporated city). The Lucky Frog opens at noon most days, I believe.

The Lucky Frog is the closest FLGS to me; Compleat Strategist is better but farther; Game Parlor is my favorite, and farther still. (Though DreamWizards is also good, but farthest.) The relative distances would be about the same for you. Whether you'd find the trip worth it depends on what you have access to at home.

Here are links for the other stores:
http://www.theluckyfrogva.com/
http://www.gameparlor.com/

Have fun!
Bryan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Dennis
United States
Covington
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barliman wrote:
Whether you'd find the trip worth it depends on what you have access to at home.

Just from the replies already given I can tell you that there is no comparison to the local game store scene, which consists of one very board game light retailer. I'll try to visit one or two during my time there and pick up a game or two from my wish list.

Steven

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.