Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

This is one I have never played in any of its versions and am strongly considering picking up. How well does this play (even with 2 players)? What do you consider the minimum age limit? How long do your games take to play? Is this game more or less complex than a game like Dungeonquest? Finally, does it seem to usually be fair and balanced? I really look forward to hearing from everyone about your gameplay experiences. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Shepherd
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.
mb
1. I think it plays okay with two, better (more chaos) with more.
2. I think it is simple enough that a six year old could play it.
3. I've never played DungeonQuest, but I'm willing to bet that its much less complicated.
4. I'm not sure that I'd call it fair and balanced, as luck of the tile draw (and others' tile placement) playes a big role.

All that said, I think its a solid filler with some very minor flaws, but for the price, I'd recommend it. Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I'm also wondering if this version will be better than 2nd edition plus the expansion. If I had to choose between the two, which one is the wisest choice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Jolly
United States
Santa Maria
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt you could find the second edition (although the expansion is still available). The new edition takes the best tiles out of the expansion and puts them in the basic set. And, all the tiles are larger and more plentiful. It comes with miniatures, too, whereas the 2nd ed. did not. The gold rules changed a bit to eliminate "kingmaker" endings, although it's designed so you can play the old way, too. However, the old expansion has tiles that don't exist in the new edition.

The new edition is also $10 more (store retail) than the old, but I'd say (in my totally biased opinion) that the new ed. is better than the old + expansion.

Tom Jolly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, at 6 the poor kid will be creamed : luck isn't so important as it first seems, there really are more neat tactics to find and apply in this game that meets the eye...
As a side note, you can use the 1 coin / 1 gold variant with 2 player (kingmaking is the point).
Games are fast with 2 : 10 / 15 minutes (getting longer with experience)
Thanks Tom, great game !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.