Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Sergeants D-Day» Forums » Rules

Subject: Physical vs. Landmark Squares rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Two issues came up with our playthrough this past weekend. I'm posting as separate threads to keep things clean.

The first concerned physical vs. Landmark squares. We were playing #15, 2 Feet Forward, 6 Feet Under, Four-Player; I have not broken out the Urban landmarks yet. Things were going pretty well until we had conflicting sides in L1B:

---------------
| | 2GLI |
---------------
| 2USP | 1GLI |
---------------


Up until this point we had reasoned that movement was through physical squares. But what happens when shooting inside a Landmark? Is everyone in close contact? Two Squares because it's a landmark? Range zero? One or two depending on the physical squares? Are the modifiers applied? Does the movement modifier apply when moving inside the landmark? If so, why wouldn't the other modifiers? Or do they?

My interpretation was unsupported by the rules anywhere, or at least not spelled out literally, so we went on with each physical square in a Landmark had the properties of the landmark and used the small label for lining up into a physical square instead the landmark label even for outside the landmark.

My interpretation that I could not back up in the rules is that 1) the soldiers still go in physical squares. 2) They can Sight/Shoot other squares in the Landmark at 1 or 2 if straight or diagonal and use the landmark's modifier. 3) Movement modifiers do apply (see L2B).

Whether I'm correct or not there needs to be a literal spelling out of cross-faction interactions inside a landmark. And an example is almost certainly required.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Billings
United States
Upperco
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shooting inside the Landmark is a distance of 0sq adjusted with modifiers. For example, the distance is 0sp and the modifiers to Range may be -3 Shoot. A Soldier with a Close Range of 2sq and a Short Range of 4sq would Hit Check using Short.

The effect is a less accurate shot and fewer hits due to the cover of the Landmark.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff Billings wrote:
Shooting inside the Landmark is a distance of 0sq adjusted with modifiers. For example, the distance is 0sp and the modifiers to Range may be -3 Shoot. A Soldier with a Close Range of 2sq and a Short Range of 4sq would Hit Check using Short.

The effect is a less accurate shot and fewer hits due to the cover of the Landmark.

Thanks! Before we got into the debate that was my actual interpretation. But as I said we couldn't find anything saying that explicitly, and what usually happens when it isn't explicit is someone says "What if it's X" and then there's a 10 minute debate.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Billings
United States
Upperco
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Throknor wrote:
...
My interpretation that I could not back up in the rules is that 1) the soldiers still go in physical squares. 2) They can Sight/Shoot other squares in the Landmark at 1 or 2 if straight or diagonal and use the landmark's modifier. 3) Movement modifiers do apply (see L2B).


1) Yes, for Movement, it is a Distance, and the Whole Landmark has the same Movement Modifier in all 4 Squares.

2) No Distance in the Landmark is always "0" you count 1 into a surrounding map square or 2 into a surrounding Landmark regardless of direction. The count could be 1, 2 3, or 4 squares to the surrounding locations if we do it the other way. Sometimes the Difference between Range and Distance shows up this way.
(I am working on the rules and I will add a clarification, thanks) The Sentence at the bottom of page 6 needs to be written better.

3) Movement modifiers apply for all movement, even for movement in the Landmark. I see in the rules where I need to be clear. Some concepts need a better explanation.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Billings
United States
Upperco
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Throknor wrote:
Jeff Billings wrote:
Shooting inside the Landmark is a distance of 0sq adjusted with modifiers. For example, the distance is 0sp and the modifiers to Range may be -3 Shoot. A Soldier with a Close Range of 2sq and a Short Range of 4sq would Hit Check using Short.

The effect is a less accurate shot and fewer hits due to the cover of the Landmark.

Thanks! Before we got into the debate that was my actual interpretation. But as I said we couldn't find anything saying that explicitly, and what usually happens when it isn't explicit is someone says "What if it's X" and then there's a 10 minute debate.


Thanks for letting me know I am working to clear it up. I hope you are having fun.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.