Fleet Commander: Nimitz» Forums » Rules

Subject: Are transport counters limited by the counter mix? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've run out of Japanese transport counters. I seem to have only four, and in the current turn, the Japanese have already moved four infantry, and now they're required to move a fifth. Are transports limited by the counter mix?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Beckler
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy,

No, you are not limited by the number of transport counters. The transport counters are typically used as helpful reminders that a particular set of infantry is not yet ashore. On the main board, I just keep In Transit infantry in a separate stack off to the side of the location. On the battle board, I just pile all the incoming infantry on a single transport counter until they reach shore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

wedgeantilles1971 wrote:
No, you are not limited by the number of transport counters.

No disrespect, but does your reply have a source or is it based on intuition?

I agree with you, actually, and would've answered the same way except I couldn't find a source to back it up. Obviously the remainder of the counters in the game are limited (by name), so I wonder to myself why not the transports? After all, there's only a few of them in the game. Perhaps that's due to the design of the printing layout. The battalion counters may also fall under the same logic as the Transports, yet there's a ton of those. So why not a ton of Transports?

Again, the abstract use of the Transports in the game, and intuition, says, "No, they are not limited." But the small number of Transport counters printed for each copy does make it a good question, one which I would vote for including in the FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the intent is to use one transport per Area being reinforced/invaded and not one transport per unit, but even then the counter limit can be busted. Nothing in the rules to indicate which way to go, but I've been playing it as the Japanese can invade more than 4 areas. I just park the infantry on top of some other ship or in back of the naval units until I play out their battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We so need a FAQ or Errata from DVG on this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would be nice. Here it's fairly obvious though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Beckler
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

wedgeantilles1971 wrote:
No, you are not limited by the number of transport counters.

No disrespect, but does your reply have a source or is it based on intuition?

None taken.
Looking at Page 10 of the rulebook: "If a Japanese Infantry is moved to an
Area with US Forces, place it on a Transport ship. This will make it easy
to remember which Infantry Forces are not yet Ashore and which started the
Battle already Ashore. The Japanese do not purchase Transport Ships. Take them as needed. Place them off to the side for re-use as soon as
the Infantry move to the Island."

I think the second sentence infers that this optional and not mandatory. Hence, you can freely use transport counters, poker chips, bacon shards, etc. to represent which Japanese troops have moved into a contested area.

By the way, Page 9 has essentially the same language for US movement.

I've read the rules for a number of DVG games and have a measure of the style they use when writing the ruleset. My take is that if Japanese troops movement was hindered by the number of Transport counters available, that would have been explicitly stated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Dan,

Yeah, I read that paragraph which you quoted, several times. And it's hard to argue against the logic you present. I was playing the devil's advocate by wondering if there are only a limited number of Transports included in the game on purpose? But you're correct that if that be the case then it's safe to assume the limitation would be mentioned in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Beckler
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Barry,

I've been following your responses in the other Nimitz threads and I think you've been doing a great job with Devil's Advocate! Nothing wrong with challenging assumptions.

Even though the language could be a little more clear, I think the interpretation we've more or less adopted here is totally in keeping with the other design choices, and suits the historical context pretty well. The one thing the Japanese did have was a lot of potential sealift capability.

Edit - a little word choice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

wedgeantilles1971 wrote:
I think the interpretation we've more or less adopted here is totally in keeping with the other design choices, and suits the historical context pretty well.

Especially when you consider that the time scale of each turn is two months... which didn't occur to me while writing my earlier post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.