Subject: Excited, but also bummed. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so glad they're putting out another one of these. The rumor was that once the new rules set for D&D came out, that this line would stop being supported. Glad to see that's not the case.

But... (and it's petty and OCD, I know) The box doesn't match! I have the first three games and they look nice stacked on my shelf, with the boxes all more or less matching in artwork. This one is gonna stick out like a sore thumb! Hopefully it'll be a great game to make up for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
OxfordRow wrote:
But... (and it's petty and OCD, I know) The box doesn't match!

Yes, it's OCD. And I hate it too! soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Crawford - Greybeard
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OxfordRow wrote:
But... (and it's petty and OCD, I know) The box doesn't match! I have the first three games and they look nice stacked on my shelf, with the boxes all more or less matching in artwork. This one is gonna stick out like a sore thumb! Hopefully it'll be a great game to make up for it.

LOL This is the first thing I thought when I saw the box too.

I'm very excited to be adding a new one to the collection!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhys Corlett
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
I brought this without thinking it through
badge
I don't have to explain my art to you
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully that'll be the only thing to be bummed about!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WotC definitely likes to change their art style with every new edition of D&D. I'm sure if we got another Lords of Waterdeep expansion, the artwork would be somehow different as well since a new age of D&D is upon us. Just an observation with no credible source to back up my statement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDarkKnight wrote:
Just an observation with no credible source to back up my statement.

That doesn't mean you are wrong!

I'm not worried about how different it looks. Right now, the thing that worries me the most is that the mock-up image shows a dragon(?) on a little plastic stick and we ALL know that that is gonna show up broken in 50% of the boxes unless it's REALLY carefully packed. But even if it is, at least 33% of 'em will be broken just trying to undo the packaging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully they're smart enough to pack the dragon and stick separately, so people can put the stick in the dragon when they get the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait... isn't this the same company that packed Star Fleet Captains? shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Staples
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahma wrote:
Hopefully they're smart enough to pack the dragon and stick separately, so people can put the stick in the dragon when they get the game.

This is WizKids we're talking about. They started using the figure on a stick in heroclix like that awhile ago.

No...no they didn't put the figure & stick in separately. I haven't bought the past few sets so maybe they changed. I doubt it though.

I've said it before, I'll say it again - let's hope a) there are no , problems but if there are, b) WotC handles customer support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahma wrote:

I got one of those 4-fig-packs over Christmas (at a sale). The hammerhead shark came like that. AWESOME! Went to pull it out of the packaging and the twist-tie caught and it snapped off "just like that". So, now I'm a bit more careful, but still very, very leery of how well they hold up. The good news is, I should be able to stick a pin in there and fix it (eventually).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah....seems like Wizkids isn't that smart. I'm used to FFG and how the stands come separate from the mini in games like X-Wing or D&D Attack Wing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Herrera
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also excited - when is the release date on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Herrera
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhh... just found it on their website: 30 April, 2015

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wow same poor visuals it seems.
this is awful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the "bummed" was going to be b/c it's not Dragonlance cool

As popular as Dragonlance was, I'm surprised they haven't done one of these in that setting yet...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
I thought the "bummed" was going to be b/c it's not Dragonlance

The problem with Dragonlance is that it's just more dragons. And not a whole lot of it takes place in dungeons. And I don't know yet if it's been made part of the D&D 5.0 license? Of course if they DID do Dragonlance with ALL the heroes and lots of Draconians in all their various forms and of course Takhisis, I'd be very, very happy!

Wait, WHAT????
http://www.dragonlance-movie.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Escoffery
Switzerland
Geneva
Confignon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EverywhereGames wrote:
[q="TheDarkKnight"Just an observation with no credible source to back up my statement.

That doesn't mean you are wrong!

I'm not worried about how different it looks. Right now, the thing that worries me the most is that the mock-up image shows a dragon(?) on a little plastic stick and we ALL know that that is gonna show up broken in 50% of the boxes unless it's REALLY carefully packed. But even if it is, at least 33% of 'em will be broken just trying to undo the packaging.
[/q]

Did anyone else notice there looks to be about half as much content on display in this picture than is with one of the other three in the series? I don't mind the change in box. Just shows it's from the 2nd series in the same line. They can get their own stack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like the cards are missing. Maybe not as many figures as the other games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the more I see of it, the more I'm convinced I'll pass on this one. Really a bummer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BruceBelafonte wrote:
Did anyone else notice there looks to be about half as much content on display in this picture than is with one of the other three in the series? I don't mind the change in box. Just shows it's from the 2nd series in the same line. They can get their own stack.

As stated, there are no cards in the mock-up. The Dungeon (or whatever) stack looks short. There's no double-sized Start Tile. The sheets with the hero cards in it looks sparse. I counted 42 figs (or so) so that's a reasonable number. Many look small but they look about the same size as the blue heroes so that's a medium size. There's four really big figs so that's nice to see. I can't tell if there's three books or just the two that I would expect.

Thing is, it's a MOCK UP so even though that might be sorta representative of the game, it's no where near set in stone yet. They are probably still working on sculpts and final layouts before manufacturing and shipping. They say April but with Chinese New Year coming up, that doesn't leave them with a lot of time to get much done so I'm not expecting to see this in my hands until August. I admit I've been spoiled by Kickstarter projects, watching everything unfold from conception to production to manufacturing to shipping and eventually delivery. So seeing this at the "almost ready to ship" stage is really weird now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
I said this somewhere else, but I question how compatible this will be when it arrives. Wizkids is known for going as cheap as possible on their products and trying to figure out how to sell you the same thing, 5 different ways.

I expect the cards to be poorer stock, the boards to be thinner, the miniatures to be highly breakable, and thus nothing will fit right with the older games or look right.

I am unsurprised to see that the picture of the bits looks like the card stock for the boards is already warping. At least Wizards did mock ups that looked full professional. And there is no huge centerpiece boss figure unless you cot that spindly dragon on a stick recycled from their attack wing game.

I'll wait and see what everything looks like before spending a dime on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten van Alebeek
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Smilinbrax wrote:
I am unsurprised to see that the picture of the bits looks like the card stock for the boards is already warping.

Now that you mention it..
I didn't even see that before.

I don't have much experience with WizKids, but I'll always remember the jawless Goldyx that came in my Mage Knight BG box.
Good thing I had some plastic glue nearby, but a professional company really should pay more attention to these things..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahma wrote:
Ah....seems like Wizkids isn't that smart. I'm used to FFG and how the stands come separate from the mini in games like X-Wing or D&D Attack Wing.

You do realize that D&D Attack Wing is produced by WizKids, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EverywhereGames wrote:

It's actually quite watchable. Especially if you were brought up in the 80s and are used to this kind of animation...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smilinbrax wrote:
I said this somewhere else, but I question how compatible this will be when it arrives. Wizkids is known for going as cheap as possible on their products and trying to figure out how to sell you the same thing, 5 different ways.

I expect the cards to be poorer stock, the boards to be thinner, the miniatures to be highly breakable, and thus nothing will fit right with the older games or look right.

I am unsurprised to see that the picture of the bits looks like the card stock for the boards is already warping. At least Wizards did mock ups that looked full professional. And there is no huge centerpiece boss figure unless you cot that spindly dragon on a stick recycled from their attack wing game.

I'll wait and see what everything looks like before spending a dime on it.

These are all valid concerns.
Going from personal experience with Mage Knight there is also the appalling Wizkids customer service where you have to report any missing bits within 90 days of purchase, provide proof, and wait over 16 weeks for any replacements.

Whilst the other D&D games were all day 1 purchases I'll be waiting to see how this one pans out.

And also, as has been said, the boxes don't match!! This one would have to sit by itself on a separate shelf. In the dark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.