Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Richter
United States
Ruskin
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tic-Tac-Oh my what a game this is. Niya is a fantastic abstract Japanese themed game. There is a lot of strategy to this little game.

Niya was published in 2012 by Blue Orange Games. It is a 2-player family game where you must obtain the Emperors favor in the Imperial Gardens. The gardens are represented by the lovely artwork on each of the tiles. It comes in a tin with a great insert to hold everything in place & best of all it is super affordable.

The game is pretty basic & plays like a variant of tic-tac-toe. The board is a 4x4 playing field of sixteen tiles. Each tile has some form of vegetation symbol: maple, iris, cherry, or pine & a poetic symbol: rising sun, bird, rain, or tanzaku (piece of paper people write their wishes upon.)

After the tiles are shuffled & placed in the 4x4 pattern the first player will place their token on one of the tiles & takes it. Looking at the symbols on the taken tile the next player will place their token on a tile with at least one of those symbols. This will continue until at least one player has all of their token in a 2x2 square, four-in-a-row, or if they force their opponent to take an illegal tile.

I have played Niya many times & several of those times my opponent & I have ended the game in a stalemate. We have a house rule that if this occurs then whoever has four tokens in an L-shape they will win. Ties don't happen to often but when they do we implement the house rule. I recommend playing "best of three".

The game is simple & straight forward. If you have kids that love tic-tac-toe then they will dig this game. I recommended this game in one of my articles for Http://GeeksPodCast.com at Christmas as a perfect stocking stuffer.

That is all for this daily review. Thanks for reading & join me here again tomorrow for my next one & Game On!

-Christopher Richter
Twitter: @Boardgaming_FTW
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi,

In my interpretation of the rules, there is no stalemate, because whenever a player places the last tile, the opponent can no longer play and thus has lost. Do you think the game is better with your house rule?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a draw is a draw. Some games end in a draw it is like this in international football and no reason it can't be like this in Nyia. It is not that you can force every game to be a draw if you want to. Sometimes, it just happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Minken
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Connect More to your family, friends, and community over a board game.
mbmbmbmbmb
eobllor wrote:
Hi,

In my interpretation of the rules, there is no stalemate, because whenever a player places the last tile, the opponent can no longer play and thus has lost. Do you think the game is better with your house rule?

This is the correct interpretation of the rules. For my wife and I this actually is a very important way to win and drives our strategies when it starts to become clear that we may not win by getting a straight line or a 2x2 box.

This is a great coffee shop game that we enjoy very much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
ConnectMore wrote:
eobllor wrote:
Hi,

This is the correct interpretation of the rules. For my wife and I this actually is a very important way to win and drives our strategies when it starts to become clear that we may not win by getting a straight line or a 2x2 box.

Actually, it is not the correct interpretation. If you check the link, the designer confirms that if the players place all the pieces without anyone making 4 in a row or 2x2, the game is a tie.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/984327/all-pieces-played-it-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Minken
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Connect More to your family, friends, and community over a board game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
ConnectMore wrote:
eobllor wrote:
Hi,

Actually, it is not the correct interpretation. If you check the link, the designer confirms that if the players place all the pieces without anyone making 4 in a row or 2x2, the game is a tie.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/984327/all-pieces-played-it-...

Whoops! I misunderstood! You are right. I was interpreting that as being the "no legal move" condition.

Usually my wife beats me long before this ever happens though!!

Thanks for the clarity!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Richter
United States
Ruskin
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually talked to the folks at Blue Orange Games when I first talked about games ending in ties. They gave me several different variations to prevent a "tie". House rules will eliminate a tie. But it happens.

It is an extremely easy game to learn & play. And as David said, great coffee shop game. Take it with you when you go out to eat so when you are waiting for appetizers or bar drinks you can take it out and play. Takes less than a minute to set up & less than a minute to break down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.