Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
God Games + Boredom = WORST GOD EVER!

I used to fire up Sim City 2000, cheat to get a ton of cash, build a paradise of a city, and fill it up. Then I'd see how quickly I could get everyone to leave.

What I found out was even with fires raging through the city for decades, half the place without power, a happily rampaging monster, no police coverage, and horrible pollution, some people would never leave as long as the taxes were at 0%. The second you upped taxes to 1% though, boom, they were out of there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon W.
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Psh, you don't even need the god games part of the equation. Halo jumping your friend with thirty frag grenades to see exactly how high you can launch him is just as fun. -Or picking up people on the bus route in GTA3:VC, only to send the thing careening off a cliff while you bail at the last minute... Games were practically made for sadism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nairb Attobas
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in college, this one dude played The Sims, and he had a tendency to murder them in different ways:

1) Build a pool. Put Sim in pool. Remove the ladder. Watch the Sim tread water, tread water, tread water, and eventually drown from exhaustion.

2) Make 1 tile-sized room with no door: just enough to drop a Sim in so that they are unable to sit, or do anything other than stand. Fast-forward time as the person defecates all over the one square they are standing in, and eventually starves to death.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is putting me in the mood to play a Sim game. Any recommendations?

Here's the thing, though: I already have a job. SimCity 2000 was just about at my limit for how much stuff I wanted to fiddle with. SimCity 3000 got played exactly twice on my machine because I was all "You've got to be kidding me. I don't do this kind of fiddly crap for a paycheck and they want me to do it for fun?" I have no desire to set the green light timing or micromanage the elevators or make sure soda is reasonably priced. I just wanna build stuff and goof around.

It also doesn't have to be brand spanking new. In fact, it's better if it's not since my computer probably won't run it if it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nairb Attobas
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure what aspect of the Sim game you like, but the most fun I've had one is with "Sid Meier's SimGolf" of all things. I don't even like golf that much, but creating golf courses turned out to be a hoot-and-a-half. I would be playing, and the next thing I know, it's four hours later. Lots of fun. Still can't explain why.

I was also a fan of "SimThemePark", if only because of the fast-paced lunacy. "SimThemePark" was effectively a rehash of the old "ThemePark" by BullFrog, although it seemed to have slowed down a teeny bit. It felt like going bankrupt wasn't as easy for some reason, and that you had time to think and react instead of running around like a maniac. Making rides is generally fun, as is controlling the amount of salt and sugar and caffeine in the food in the park. Nothing like cranking up the amount of caffeine and watching the kids run around and puke in hyper-motion.

"The Movies" is *sort of* a sim game, but I like it primarily to make my own movies. I've made two so far, and although it's a lot of work to make them decent-looking, it scratches the itch for creating my own cinema. You can also completely ignore the movie-making aspect, and just focus on running a movie studio, which is pretty fun in its own right, although once you play through a set number of years, the game more or less 'ends' since there's no more stuff to unlock as you go beyond.

I couldn't play "SimCity 3000" either. Too much detail or something. Not my bag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.