Subject: Help Me Build a Better Box rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Niven
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all! I apologize if this topic is one that's been done to death before but I was having trouble finding out exactly how to do this and thought I'd make my own topic about it.

Here's the deal...

I'm relatively new to board gaming in general and have really just starting building my own collection within the last year. One thing I've never done before is custom work on any of the games I own.

I got Legendary last week and I love it! I'm planning on buying the Dark City and Fantastic Four expansions in the next week or two! One problem I have with the game is the box! Maybe I'm spoiled I'm used to Thunderstone's excellent box and dividers but I find Legendary's very lacking. There's a few key things I'd like to improve that I think will make taking the game out and putting it away much easier.

1. I'd like everything to fit in one box. Now, with only the base game everything fits just fine. I'm still using the plastic insert and dividers that came with the game and I'm not even using half of it! I feel like Dark City and FF will probably fit in this same insert just fine but once I've picked up all the expansions I'm worried that they won't all fit. Plus, if I ever decide to sleeve the game, space will become an even bigger issue!

2. The dividers! It drives me crazy that Upper Deck only included blank dividers when it would have made so much more sense to include titled dividers! That being said, I've seen in my browsing of these forums that many others do have titled dividers. I've found one guy's format that I'm interested in using. These here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/92135/marvel-flavored-divi...

But I'd still like some advice on the best way to implement these and actually make them into dividers I can use.

3. Foam inserts! Thunderstone has these and they work wonders. My game as it is travels fine because the base set somewhat fits into one half of the insert but if I get any more cards but not enough to fill the next half of the insert I'm afraid my cards are going to be sliding all over the place. Again, browsing these forums I've seen plenty of people with foam inserts to keep everything tight but I have no idea where to pick stuff like that up. Any help here would be appreciated.

I'm really into Legendary right now and am pretty excited to customize by box. Any tips or info y'all may have to help me do that better would be very much appreciated!

Thank you all in advance for the great advice I'm sure I'm gonna get!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I've got all of Legendary in two boxes, the Dark City boxy holds all of the "characters" (the dudes that make up the "heroes" deck) and in the Villains box I've got everything else. The only thing that doesn't fit is the board from base Legendary (though the one from Legendary- Villains fits just fine. As for the divider cards, just write on them (there's a white space at the top that you can write on). Finally, I don't recall if it was Dark City or Villains (or both), but they came with some foam blocks to fill up the empty space.

edit: I just noticed you said you want it to all fit in box. If you sleeve your cards, it would end up being a fairly large box to hold everything. It would be a lot easier to store everything in two boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davinia
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I am waiting for my game to arrive and already I am looking at inserts and dividers. Particularly the Broken token or Go7gaming ones (of course I won't buy that yet)

The reason being is that I plan to sleeve my cards and it's likely that I will expand (if the reviews are anything to go by) so would prefer to have the game in as fewer boxes as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Little
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have everything fit into one box, sleeved with Dragon shields and I still have a lot of room.

I had to remove the original insert/tray and I made 3 columns using the Dark City box. I cut off the long sides and used them in the original Legendary box to separate the columns.

I can attempt to upload a picture later today (if I figure out how to do that).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Parker McParker
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brendover wrote:
I have everything fit into one box, sleeved with Dragon shields and I still have a lot of room.

I had to remove the original insert/tray and I made 3 columns using the Dark City box. I cut off the long sides and used them in the original Legendary box to separate the columns.

I can attempt to upload a picture later today (if I figure out how to do that).

I've done almost the same. My sleeves must be slightly longer as I can't quite fit 3 columns in (unless you've gone vertical with the cards).

Fit into the original box with all expansions. Board too.

M.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Little
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a couple of pics of my box. If you have any questions, just ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Foster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Might be worth looking at these. Came across last week.

http://www.bcwsupplies.com/cat/trading-card/trading-card-box...

I just used a 550 count box to store my sleeved transformers custom expansions. The fit nicely with penny sleeves and custom dividers on 160gsm card.

Obviously 550 isn't enough and to be honest don't think the box will fit that many with sleeves and dividers but the bigger boxes might do the trick. Just depends on how much room for expansion you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ObiRobKenobi wrote:
1. I'd like everything to fit in one box. Now, with only the base game everything fits just fine. I'm still using the plastic insert and dividers that came with the game and I'm not even using half of it! I feel like Dark City and FF will probably fit in this same insert just fine but once I've picked up all the expansions I'm worried that they won't all fit. Plus, if I ever decide to sleeve the game, space will become an even bigger issue!

Most people here recommend that you sleeve because you are constantly shuffling the cards and the cards are easily damaged.

As for trying to fit everything in one box, I suggest that you cross that bridge when you get to it. My usual response is that, with 1-3 expansions (the number depends on whether you plan to buy Marvel Villains, too) coming out every year, it's inevitable you'll get to the point where you can't fit everything in one box, assuming you plan to buy everything. It's just impossible (in the long run), so I don't think it's worth trying. If you succeed, your success will be temporary. I currently have all of my cards (sleeved) in the original box and the Dark City box. Some people have tossed the plastic insert from the original box and added a couple of cardboard rails. If you do that, you can have three columns of cards in the original box, which will hold just about everything currently available (sleeved), but the next expansion will put you over.

FYI, Brenzor, our friendly neighborhood Upper Deck Legendary producer, recently posted that "big things are coming" (or words to that effect) in regards to a similar thread about storage solutions. The implication seemed to be that Upper Deck might be in the process of producing a big box to hold lots and lots of cards. I wouldn't hold your breath for it, but I wouldn't expend a lot of effort building or money purchasing a custom solution either in case it actually happens.

Quote:
2. The dividers! It drives me crazy that Upper Deck only included blank dividers when it would have made so much more sense to include titled dividers! That being said, I've seen in my browsing of these forums that many others do have titled dividers. I've found one guy's format that I'm interested in using. These here:

But I'd still like some advice on the best way to implement these and actually make them into dividers I can use.

It drives a lot of people nuts. That's why the Files section here is full of homemade dividers for people to print out. Adam-1havok12's dividers are the best, IMHO, so you've made an excellent choice.

You'll probably want to take those PDFs to FedEx/Kinkos or OfficeDepot or the like and ask them to print them out on poster board. (Bring in one of the blank dividers from the core set and say you want them printed on something of comparable thickness/sturdiness.) Then, you just chop 'em up using one of those guillotine-like paper cutters. It won't be cheap.

Alternatively, if you have a color printer that you can feed adhesive paper through, you can print them out on adhesive paper and then stick them on the blank dividers.

Alternatively, you can print them on regular paper, cut them up, and then tape them to the blank dividers. That's what I did. It's the cheapest way, but it's a more labor-intensive and doesn't look quite as nice. I recommend using clear packing tape.

Quote:
3. Foam inserts! Thunderstone has these and they work wonders. My game as it is travels fine because the base set somewhat fits into one half of the insert but if I get any more cards but not enough to fill the next half of the insert I'm afraid my cards are going to be sliding all over the place. Again, browsing these forums I've seen plenty of people with foam inserts to keep everything tight but I have no idea where to pick stuff like that up. Any help here would be appreciated.

Dark City comes with foam blocks to keep the cards from moving around.

Welcome to the Legendary community, ObiRobKenobi!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
[q="ObiRobKenobi"]

Quote:

Unless, in a fit of stupidity, you tossed them when you are unboxing things and putting everything into the main box.

cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
ObiRobKenobi wrote:

Most people here recommend that you sleeve because you are constantly shuffling the cards and the cards are easily damaged.

As for trying to fit everything in one box, I suggest that you cross that bridge when you get to it. My usual response is that, with 1-3 expansions (the number depends on whether you plan to buy Marvel Villains, too) coming out every year, it's inevitable you'll get to the point where you can't fit everything in one box, assuming you plan to buy everything. It's just impossible (in the long run), so I don't think it's worth trying. If you succeed, your success will be temporary. I currently have all of my cards (sleeved) in the original box and the Dark City box. Some people have tossed the plastic insert from the original box and added a couple of cardboard rails. If you do that, you can have three columns of cards in the original box, which will hold just about everything currently available (sleeved), but the next expansion will put you over.

FYI, Brenzor, our friendly neighborhood Upper Deck Legendary producer, recently posted that "big things are coming" (or words to that effect) in regards to a similar thread about storage solutions. The implication seemed to be that Upper Deck might be in the process of producing a big box to hold lots and lots of cards. I wouldn't hold your breath for it, but I wouldn't expend a lot of effort building or money purchasing a custom solution either in case it actually happens.

Quote:

It drives a lot of people nuts. That's why the Files section here is full of homemade dividers for people to print out. Adam-1havok12's dividers are the best, IMHO, so you've made an excellent choice.

You'll probably want to take those PDFs to FedEx/Kinkos or OfficeDepot or the like and ask them to print them out on poster board. (Bring in one of the blank dividers from the core set and say you want them printed on something of comparable thickness/sturdiness.) Then, you just chop 'em up using one of those guillotine-like paper cutters. It won't be cheap.

Alternatively, if you have a color printer that you can feed adhesive paper through, you can print them out on adhesive paper and then cut tem up and stick them on the blank dividers.

Alternatively, you can print them on regular paper and the tape them to the blank dividers. That's what I did. It's the cheapest way, but it's a more labor-intensive and doesn't look quite as nice. I recommend using clear packing tape.

Quote:

I just printed the custom dividers out on card stock and cut them myself using scissors. It was a lot easier, but yes, somewhat time consuming (although I didn't have the added time of THEN taping the cut out paper dividers to the existing dividers).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davinia
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
After playing the game a few times I have decided to forgo the upgrade to broken token/go7gaming insert.

What I have realised (as nice as they look) is as they sit within the core box they will not provide anything extra that I couldn't customise myself from card.

The core without the current insert plus the DC boxes I'm sure would be more than sufficient to hold all current expansions and more. Better still I can make custom dividers that will help to pick out/put back heroes etc in a logical order which the premade inserts from these companies do not provide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
You will want to sleeve your cards. I didn't for money reasons and now my Villains starting deck cards are scuffed to oblivion. It means I can tell if a card is a starting deck Ally (Villain lingo for "hero") or one the ones you have to recruit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Sinn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Tsallak wrote:
You will want to sleeve your cards. I didn't for money reasons and now my Villains starting deck cards are scuffed to oblivion. It means I can tell if a card is a starting deck Ally (Villain lingo for "hero") or one the ones you have to recruit.

I'm disappointed to see that the card quality problem wasn't address in Villains. I noticed it after about 2 plays of Marvel Legendary, with scuffed white edges (against a black border, no less) from just bit of shuffling.

Do you know if this was addressed in Legendary Encounters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mooken wrote:
Tsallak wrote:

I'm disappointed to see that the card quality problem wasn't address in Villains. I noticed it after about 2 plays of Marvel Legendary, with scuffed white edges (against a black border, no less) from just bit of shuffling.

There's no problem per se, it's the card stock Upper Deck uses. It's the same in Encounters, and I would expect them to be the same in all of their games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I have no idea. I don't have enough money to buy card sleeves, so buying a whole new game is out of the question. I'm on disability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davinia
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mooken wrote:
Tsallak wrote:

The cards are probably the same in all sets so that those who do not sleeve their cards are able to mix all games as they choose. It is also possibly why the upper deck sleeves do not have the marvel icon so that they can be used interchangeably (though im not sure how many people are planning to use wolverine to fight alongside ripley - think gery elephant gaming have tried it already).

Even with high quality cards I sleeve. For me it just means that kids and friends can play along without worrying about sticky or greasy fingers. And if I ever feel the need to sell or give away my games I know they're like new. They also make cards easier to shuffle as I found the cards would clump. Penny sleeves are better than no sleeves IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slamin Perfect
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ObiRobKenobi wrote:
2. The dividers! It drives me crazy that Upper Deck only included blank dividers when it would have made so much more sense to include titled dividers!

Absolutely agree, every time I open the box it annoys me. Both Thunderstone and Sentinels do dividers right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.