Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men» Forums » Rules

Subject: Mac Gargan Multiblocking rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick O\'Toole
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, I was wondering what your consensus on the following would be.
Venom- Mac Gargan's first ability states "If Venom blocks and knocks out a non-[FIST] character, he deals 2 damage to your opponent and you gain one life".

How do you think this would work with multiple Venoms blocking the one character? I know that when you use multiple Beasts to block one character, they all activate from it, however the issue here is the part about "and knocks out" a character. If 4 Venoms block a character, are they all knocking it out and therefore all triggering? Or is only one Venom knocking it out, and the rest are simply contributing?

If there's an official ruling on this that you can lead me to that'd be fantastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
There is not an official ruling that I am aware of.

You should submit this question to the official wizkids rules forum.

Personally, I would say that they all trigger since damage is assigned simultaneously and that the attack value of multiple blockers of one attacker are added together before resolving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sias Mey
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No, there is no official rulling. But like in the case of Angel I would think the card doesnt check what damage knocked it out, just that it is.

Did Venom block? yes
Is the Character knocked out? yes

And that will be true for each one.

My vote is that they all trigger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind, the attacker can assign all attack damage to one of the blockers. It doesn't need to be dispersed among all blockers. With that said, if they choose to have both Venom characters receive damage and are knocked out during the damage resolution, I would believe that the card text for both Venom die would take effect.

I'd say it's a smart move on your play, and would be silly for the attacker to assign any damage to both. Might be a learning for the other player after the game if they do assign attack damage to both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
VictimOfGravity wrote:
Keep in mind, the attacker can assign all attack damage to one of the blockers. It doesn't need to be dispersed among all blockers. With that said, if they choose to have both Venom characters receive damage and are knocked out during the damage resolution, I would believe that the card text for both Venom die would take effect.

I'd say it's a smart move on your play, and would be silly for the attacker to assign any damage to both. Might be a learning for the other player after the game if they do assign attack damage to both.

Mac Gargan triggers on knocking out a character it is blocking, NOT when it is knocked out while blocking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mac Gargan would trigger whether or not he is knocked out. His text doesn't state he needs to be active. As a previous post pointed out:

Did he block: Yes
Was the character knocked out: Yes
Trigger ability

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.