Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Roads & Boats» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First games - solo : brain still intact, but wobbly... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Wild_ride [+] [View All]
I've never seen a flying hogfish. I saw one gliding once, but never flying, not actually flying.
United Kingdom
Tyne & Wear
Tyne & Wear
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I've wanted to get R+B for a while now, I like most things with a modular board. It finally arrived in the post last week, and today I had a chance to try it out. As there was only me, I went for one of the solo scenarios, on the idea that I'd learn the game as I went. "A River Runs Through It" seemed as good as any, and a chance to try out the giant sheet of acetate I'd just purchased...

The game was initially confusing, trying to figure out objectives, 'til I realised it's all about the gold/coins/stock at the end of the game, along with the wonder points. [I'm assuming in my scoring that the wonder is scored as in the general rules - 10pts shared between the players with bricks in the row, white bricks count for nothing - therefore having one brick in each row counts for 10 pts - correct me if I'm wrong].

By the time I'd got to that point of understanding, I had already gone whole-hog on the wood and stone production - with the donkeys shuttling the goods in. Two woodcutters provided enough plants to keep production running, with the stone from my quarry building up the road network.

I got my eye on building a drilling-rig, and soon learned about the whole research thing - so that's what the crazy geese are for! Not sure how that fits into my view of reality, but who's to criticise...

So, I built a raft factory, shot off to build a paper mill at the head of the river, while opening up Mine No. 17 in the dry mountains. At this point, I also realised that the "replenish mine" research could be useful, so full speed ahead on the paper!

A second raft heads downriver, and eventually makes it to the sea, icking up the necessary rig-building resources, and heading off to build said rig. This is getting close to the end of the game by now, and I'm realising that I should have thought about this whole mint thing earlier. I managed to get one fuel and two gold to the mint just in time to process one coin. There are another two rogue gold on the backs of donkeys elsewhere (sheesh, those donkeys) and the makin's of a stock exchange, if only the game had gone on a little longer.

Eventual score? Break the 300pts? Close to the 260pts? No. A grand total of: 1x Coin (40), 2x GOld (20) and 6x Wonder rows (60) for a grand total of 120pts. Not too bad for a first game, I'm hoping.

So what did I learn?...

1. Plan ahead - start amassing stuff for mints and so on earlier on.
2. If you only need one brick in the row to score the 10 pts, then don't waste stuff - it may get you an extra row, but you can build with it.
3. In a small map, think about what buildings you're going for - I nearly ran out of room, it would have been full if I'd built the stock exchange.
4. Watch those donkeys, they're up to something, have you noticed the one on the cover is smiling?
5. Need to play again, and against people - must stay up all night trying to figure out how to score higher, must plot donkey movement payoff matrix and net present value of geese.... aargh! Brain hurts, but I'm enjoying it.

In short, I think this will be great with a group of players, it was fantastic with just me, I don't give too many games a 10 rating, but this is a no-brainer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flyinghogfish wrote:
I'm assuming in my scoring that the wonder is scored as in the general rules - 10pts shared between the players with bricks in the row, white bricks count for nothing - therefore having one brick in each row counts for 10 pts

correct

Quote:
In a small map, think about what buildings you're going for - I nearly ran out of room, it would have been full if I'd built the stock exchange.

I assume you did already run out of room. You probably missed the rule that you can't build anything in the desert. That's why you often have to spend more than one brick per row in a puzzle scenario - to reach that irrigation space in time to use the extra room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report and pictures!

A few comments:

- Good job on your first game! Coins!

- I assume you waited until the irrigation mark before building on the desert.

- I assume you used both rafts to build the oil rig. One does not carry enough to do it alone.

- Yes, mints are a bottleneck with only one coin a turn!

- You need to breed more donkeys at first!

Quote:
In a small map, think about what buildings you're going for

So true. Even in a multi player map, you want things to be organized well so you do not have to travel far. (I should talk. My current online game I messed up and tried to put a clay pit out in the middle of the land.)
Quote:
Watch those donkeys, they're up to something, have you noticed the one on the cover is smiling?

Personally, I love the cover! Happy Donkeys!

I'll throw in the image links:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Wilbur III
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good job! My first game I don't think I broke 50 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I've never seen a flying hogfish. I saw one gliding once, but never flying, not actually flying.
United Kingdom
Tyne & Wear
Tyne & Wear
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the useful comments!

So it looks as though two things which helped my score were:

> Didn't notice that I couldn't build on the desert until irrigation, doh!

> Slight mind fug that convinced me one raft could carry all four resources for the rig - think this one was down to the sheer excitement of building the thing, got carried away!

I guess that means I'll have to try again, deary me... laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.