7 Posts

Paperback» Forums » Variants

Subject: Theme variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Bremner
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I really like the themes as an addition to generate creativity, but was finding there was no incentive to make a theme word until near game end. We now play with a variant where if you make a theme word you earn a theme cube, the player with the most cubes at game end earns the card. You could easily play with more than one theme but that would need another colour of cubes (we've not tried this idea yet).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The root of all evil... but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I really like the idea. I would additionally add that the cubes you earn can be used as pennies for purchases so now you are balancing out whether or not to expend a cube as money or save it for the end game 5 points. Additionally it would give incentive for people to continue to try and make theme words even after someone has already collected a bunch of cubes and you feel you can't catch up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fowers
United States
OGDEN
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Agreed. This is good stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah i think when i teach this game i will use this idea as the "official" way to play it. Nice ideas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
This is a great idea! I really loved the idea of themes, but hated the possible outcome of someone ignoring the theme the whole game only to play a theme word on the last turn and get 5 points for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tron

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geat minds think alike!
Barely had first game last night and upon reading theme card rule thought well smart player would try and gain it right at end(or steal if already gained) I instantly thought of using cubes to track how many were played in the game, it worked well.
Although I don't know what to do in tie as it didn't come up, suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a tie i would probably just award the points to both players. Or you could do whoever has most points from ONLY wild cards in their decks. Or you could split the points in half and give it to both tied plYers. I would personnaly award the theme card points (in full) to both players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.