Subject: Strategies for Greece early going? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
For the sake of completeness, and also to pick the brains of some good players. I included this aswell

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Payne
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
I think fighting for Tarrentum is a losing battle. Also Greece cant really afford to fight Rome. So I use Pyrhus to clean out the tribes in the Danube so I can gather a couple provinces on the first turn.
Of course you must move the CAV to Greece asap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greece is going to take some time. I'll post some tomorrow, but I guarantee you that the best way to fight Greece is to fight as many "losing battles" as you can. You are surrounded by enemies. The worst thing you can do is give up something without a fight.

Greece and Rome as allies though is a powerful combination. Greece basically has to give up a lot, but gets freedom to torment the East. That's priceless. At the same time, what stops Rome from stabbing you? In our games, not much.

Anyway, before going into this too much, I want to give other players a chance to comment. I have seen some very good Greek players now and I am always learning.

Before I go, I want to mention one great play for Greece. Marselha's garrison should be moved to a nice pleasant place where a town can be built which won't be crushed immediately by legions. I also really like moving the galleys and garrisons in the East home provinces into Cyprus. What a great way to start the game. Two moves a couple of towns in horrible places for your opponents. If you are in the Balearic Islands, Carthage has to take you out of there to take Hispania. :-) I actually have a far more diabolical plan which I am not going to mention here, just in case I get to pull it off!

Greece is so much fun. You can lose so badly though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Payne
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
I dont know if I would build towns for Rome or Carthage. They will get them eventually. Just my opinion, but I would only build in Ionia and Greece. Maybe up north, and possibly the Danube.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played nearly enough to know successful strategies for Greece, but I'll comment on my experience:

Taking Cyprus for Greece is awesome, as it denies 2T to East, can recruit cavalry, and can be held with a superior navy. I have not yet managed to do it though.

Michael's ideas for those distant Greek Garrisons are interesting, I'm going to try it sometime!

I have not used Pyrrhus to attack the tribes, I've used it to destroy Capua and try to intimidate Rome into not taking Tarentum. I figure that I need to do my part to keep Rome down, specially since Greece can never trust Rome.

The most successful strategy I've had for Greece is taking control of the Black Sea and provinces, stationing a Galley somewhere along to block any attacks by the East. That has gained me 3T & 3 stability every turn, and you are free to build cities there safe from other players.

Crete is also an easy colonizing province for Greece.

I've heard it said that Greece is the weakest power to play but I have yet to experience that in two games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.