Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: solitaire [+] [View All]
Hilary Hartman
United States
GLENNALLEN
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Just your friendly, neighborhood game player and superhero!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just wondering how many of you "cheat" when playing a game solitaire? You ever favor one side over another? Fudge die rolls? Is there a certain futility in playing a game by yourself?

(And this is by no means a barb towards anyone who has to play wargames solitaire, or those who like to, either!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will sometimes playing wargames. When I solo a wargame, I'm basically telling a story to myself, if that makes any sense, and if I feel the "narrative requirements" dictate a re-roll, then that's what happens.

If I'm being more serious, trying out strategies and whatnot (in wargames or euros), then I play it straight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Heaton
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing a game where one battle's outcome is critical to the game, I sometimes try all the options, just to see what would happen next. The one I recall doing this with is Afrika Korps by Avalon Hill. I tried all the different outcomes from the crucial battle for Tobruk and I found that losing would destroy the Axis, but winning didn't guarantee success.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. I favor red. If red does poorly, it's usually because yellow cheated, or green, sitting to red's right, is playing like a spastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Kirschenbaum
United States
College Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I often identify more with one side than the other when playing solo (meaning I'll root for them), but I would never fudge die rolls or deliberately make boneheaded moves. For me that would ruin the integrity of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chatrs should los a fingr, spcially in solo gams. I caught myslf chating onc and now i'v payd th pric which is why I hav troubl typing th lttr E whn i touch typ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Wood
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sky Knight X wrote:
Yes. I favor red. If red does poorly, it's usually because yellow cheated, or green, sitting to red's right, is playing like a spastic.

Roses are red
Violets are blue
I'm schitzophrenic
And so am I...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jyeackle wrote:
Chatrs should los a fingr, spcially in solo gams. I caught myslf chating onc and now i'v payd th pric which is why I hav troubl typing th lttr E whn i touch typ.

Brilliant! Wonderfully brilliant!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pombeiro
Portugal
Sao Joao do Estoril
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
puck4604 wrote:
I was just wondering how many of you "cheat" when playing a game solitaire? You ever favor one side over another? Fudge die rolls? Is there a certain futility in playing a game by yourself?

(And this is by no means a barb towards anyone who has to play wargames solitaire, or those who like to, either!)

Not that many times and to really avoid it I play in front of the mirror so that when I look front and see that pesky cheater looking straight back at me, I will know it's me !!

I wouldn't call it futility, just a mild case of paranoia involved!! But it really is a way to play some gomes that are difficult for you to have fellow gamers to play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Von Ahnen
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will replay a turn if the outcome was not what I expected, since I usually use solitare as a learning exercise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm learning a game or playing a game solo that NEEDS more than one player, I cheat. I tend to favor one side over the other and sort of "guide" it to victory.

If I'm playing one of my games that are solitaire systems, ie my Thunderbolt/Apache Leader, Ambush!, London's Burning, or Ranger, I generally don't cheat. I do remember one time I was attached to one of my Apache pilots during a session of Thunderbolt/Apache Leader who was supposed to die but I just wouldn't let him.devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael W.
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. Don't cheat. may re-roll to test a strategy. But usually I play solitaire for strategy testing only...

Cheers, Reddog

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Pierotte
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I figure if the dice are going to cheat, I should get to cheat too!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.