Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leo Borg
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played Burning Suns the day before yesterday (the prototype of the game). And this time it was the first time since november 2013 one of the players played the game, now the latest version of the rules (P05). And one of the things he wanted to change earlier was stilll there, the player order.

So we tried something new, by having a player order that goes further than it has up til now. The current rules says that the player that chooses the action that goes last, or chooses to not put out a leader, will be the first player for the next round. Instead we made a round order from 1-3 (we had a 3-player game, otherwise we would have had 1-5 if 5-player game or 1-4 if 4-player game), where the player who chose the last action got 1, the second to last 2 and so on. This really added a new dynamic to the game and was really enjoyed by us all, including the player that wasn't really fond of the old version of having player order. It changes the order of players so that you don't have to play after the player on your right the whole game.

Example pictures

Mockup of player order on the bottom of Antimatter track (order based on the example above):

We really believe in integrating this into the game. And it shouldn't be hard to do. Just take one control token for each player that is in the game and put from 1-5 depending on how many players. The first round it can be 1 for the player with the lowest number on die, like it is in the rules now, but from round 2 and forward do the order like suggested above. And to have a good place to put this player order on we think it could be integrated in the Antimatter track by putting a field with this track below the main antimatter track (on both sides of course), like my mockup example above.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Borg
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And to clarify at which time you change the player order: After all leaders have been placed on the action sheets you change the order of the control tokens on the player order track. This new order will than come in effect for next round of putting out leaders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, have you played Cyclades? This sounds a lot like the bidding/turn order mechanism in that game. Not that this is a bad thing--Cyclades is probably my favorite game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Woll
United States
Warsaw
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The newest expansion to Terra Mystica added this as well.
Great idea I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Borg
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No I actually haven't played Cyclades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Borg
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So how does it work in Cyclades and Terra Mystica?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Woll
United States
Warsaw
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In any game where turn order matters solution B is always better than A.
A. There is some mechanic to determine Start Player each round then play proceeds clockwise.
B. There is some mechanic to determine Start Player and second player and third player, etc. each round.

Solution A shows its weakness if you have 5 players and 1 player gets to go second every round through no action of his own.

Solution B, if practical to implement, is simply fairer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
swYck wrote:
So how does it work in Cyclades and Terra Mystica?

At least in Terra Mystica the turn order is the order in which the players pass. First to pass becomes next start player. Second to pass will be the next second player...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Cyclades, the last player of the round is the first player to bid in the next round. 2nd to last bids 2nd, etc etc .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocy7 POL
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swYck wrote:

We really believe in integrating this into the game. And it shouldn't be hard to do.

Always can be added as alternate rule for experienced players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthijs NL
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
epilepticemu wrote:
In Cyclades, the last player of the round is the first player to bid in the next round. 2nd to last bids 2nd, etc etc .

Same with powergrid, the player who has the least powerstations gets to buy the cheapest resources and powerstations.
You could tie playerorder to the antimatter track. Who has least antimatter gets to go first.then seconden lowest and so on.
This could be explained in context that the bigger or more advanced your civ gets the unwieldier and slower its communications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Larsen
Denmark
Faxe
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
#Matthijs > It's not a bad idea. There are however a ton of times where people have the same antimatter, so there would need to be some rule to differentiate that.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

The dynamic player order have been implemented as an advanced option in the rulebook.

<<<--->>>

The official rules can be downloaded here: http://bit.ly/14Fg1df

Let me know what you think about them

<<<--->>>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthijs NL
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Emilarsen wrote:
#Matthijs > It's not a bad idea. There are however a ton of times where people have the same antimatter, so there would need to be some rule to differentiate that.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

The dynamic player order have been implemented as an advanced option in the rulebook.

<<<--->>>

The official rules can be downloaded here: http://bit.ly/14Fg1df

Let me know what you think about them

<<<--->>>

Without having played the game, so I don't know how valuable going first is;
The advanced option looks like a solid solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Advanced option looks great! I think I'll always play with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.