Popular Tags: recommendations [+] lunch [+] [View All]
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone recommend a good 2, 2+ player game that can be played in an hour and is on the heavier side, like Age of Steam or Power Grid? I located a game buddy on my campus and I think we will tire of lighter fare soon. I may just go for Command and Colors: Ancients, as it has lots of replay value, but we have a third member who shows up on occasion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C.
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
With 2 players: El Grande, or Goa.
Both of these games have a fixed number of rounds in the game, but with more players they take longer, because there's more people to do their stuff each round. Both could be finished in an hour with 2 players, but would likely take longer even with 3. You can shorten the number of rounds from 9 to 6 for El Grande. Goa has particularly good strategy with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how light your "lighter fare" was, like whether it was Lost Cities or not, but a heavier lunchtime game that works very well with 2 players, but accomodates more, would be Through the Desert in my mind. I guess most people wouldn't consider it as heavy as Age of Steam or Power Grid, but it can be pretty heavy if you both think about your moves carefully. Ra is another medium-weight game that can definitely be played over lunchtime and has an excellent 2-player variant, but works well with 3 players too. Finally, if size is not an issue, but it sometimes is for portability during lunch, then Torres could be a good bet.

I was surprised by how well Goa played with 2 players, but I still think I prefer it significantly with 3-4 people. It's an interesting 2-player game, but feels like it would get stale more quickly with only 2, and with 3 people I think it would definitely exceed an hour. As for El Grande, I think it's best with 5 players, and would probably go for Louis XIV if I wanted a 2-player area control game, but am not sure it would fit in at lunch, unless both players had some experience under their belts.

EDIT: I haven't played Mykerinos yet, but Tom Vasel's review (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/123585) suggests that it may be what you're looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmb
Hmmmm... I'd probably go with an abstract for the 2P game: go or chess or Gipf. China is a good quick 3P game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus the Bull
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done quite a bit of "heavies" during lunch. Here's a list of Med-Heavy that we can get in under an hour with 2 players(after you've gotten through the learning curve, of course)

Power Grid
Puerto Rico (2P variant)
Goa
Attika
Louis XIV
RRT (Have not tried AoS with 2)
Reef Encounter (pushes the 1 hr limit)
Tigris & Euphrates
Tikal (pushes 1 hr if AP prone)
Through the Desert

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Die Dolmengötter
Cronberg
Carolus Magnus
Logistico

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might try:

Louis XIV
Euphrates & Tigris: The Card Game
Saint Petersburg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Heaton
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked at heavy (4-5) games that played in an hour. The ones rated 6 or higher are:

Crescendo of Doom
Cross of Iron
Air Strike
Squad Leader
Age of Steam Expansion #3 - Scandinavia and Korea
Firepower
Chess

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thommy8 wrote:
I'm not sure how light your "lighter fare" was, like whether it was Lost Cities or not, but a heavier lunchtime game that works very well with 2 players, but accomodates more, would be Through the Desert in my mind. I guess most people wouldn't consider it as heavy as Age of Steam or Power Grid, but it can be pretty heavy if you both think about your moves carefully. Ra is another medium-weight game that can definitely be played over lunchtime and has an excellent 2-player variant, but works well with 3 players too. Finally, if size is not an issue, but it sometimes is for portability during lunch, then Torres could be a good bet.

I was surprised by how well Goa played with 2 players, but I still think I prefer it significantly with 3-4 people. It's an interesting 2-player game, but feels like it would get stale more quickly with only 2, and with 3 people I think it would definitely exceed an hour. As for El Grande, I think it's best with 5 players, and would probably go for Louis XIV if I wanted a 2-player area control game, but am not sure it would fit in at lunch, unless both players had some experience under their belts.

EDIT: I haven't played Mykerinos yet, but Tom Vasel's review (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/123585) suggests that it may be what you're looking for.

Hahaha! We are playing Through the Desert today, so a timely suggestion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.