Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: scifi [+] [View All]
Mark Hudson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read about a game a few months ago that reminds me of Hive, but I think this game was grid-based, and had come out in 2 versions: one with a fantasy theme and the other with a sci-fi theme.
This mystery game may have been self-published similar to "Seven Treasures."

I'm going crazy trying to find out what this game is called, and I don't even know what search terms to use. Am I nuts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hudson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
found 'em!

Dragons of Kir
and
Darter

yes, I am a nut

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a hive-like collectable tile game, except it's not really collectable anymore, cuz they sell a whole set (minus the rares) as a complete game. I think it's pretty neat.

Maelstrom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Ravenscroft
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Dragons of Kir is nothing like Hive, but well worth buying as a very fun tactical two player game.

Edited to add that I'd probably wait until it came out as a professionally produced game - the hand made jobbie is fairly nice, but the finishing on the pieces is uneven and inconsistent (and black and white).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Dragons of Kir; Get it: it's a lot more interesting visually and has an unusual theme (Asian Dragons) and it's exactly the same game with different graphics. If you replace the pyramid bases with the rooks from an "Oriental" chess set, you're golden, as far as looks are concerned. Would be expensive to buy a chess set just for that, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Ball
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
You could just play Hive but put the word "space" in front of the names of all the creatures (eg Space Spider) to turn it into a proper sci-fi game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
BoB3K wrote:
This is a hive-like collectable tile game, except it's not really collectable anymore, cuz they sell a whole set (minus the rares) as a complete game. I think it's pretty neat.

Maelstrom

Played a partial game of this a few weeks ago... shame there's no rares in the set... it seemed pretty blah without something to spice it up.

I'll try again though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eyeball wrote:
You could just play Hive but put the word "space" in front of the names of all the creatures (eg Space Spider) to turn it into a proper sci-fi game.

Aldie wrote:
Played a partial game of this a few weeks ago... shame there's no rares in the set... it seemed pretty blah without something to spice it up.

You can get packs of the rares at thoughthammer.com for $6 for 45 tiles. They're random, but I bought 3 packs and got almost all of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduard Navratil
Czech Republic
Vizovice
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yet one: how about Triple Triad? Final Fantasy VIII: Triple Triad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrbass
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.freewebtown.com/swarmpd/

Swarmped is hive like with various creatures. You can think of the creatures as from a B Sci-Fi Moive. It has a PDF so you can print and play it. It's near it's final development stages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hudson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok, I have not played Darter or DoK, but the chess-like mechanic seems somewhat similar to Hive. This thread asks the question directly:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/131105\

Is it just me, or are mono-syllabic "answers" not helpful?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmb
markhu wrote:
Is it just me, or are mono-syllabic "answers" not helpful?

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.